beach sand as substrate

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

crete456

Hello...I'm currently in the process of converting my FO tank to a FOWLR tank then if all goes well to a reef system...Currently I have caribsea pink Bermuda crushed coral for substrate...Is this OK or do I have to switch to sand and if so can I use beach sand from the ocean being I live near the ocean here in New Jersey...thanks denny

Crushed Coral substrates can be used. However, most people won't use CC because it traps too much detritus. This trapped detritus decays raising your Nitrate and phosphate levels. Most fish can handle elevated nutrients quite fine. However, corals and other invertebrates cannot. As a result, you'll have to spend a lot of time siphoning out the CC with every waterchange. If you get lazy and don't do this, you can expect algae problems and unexpected coral/other invert deaths.

Collecting sand from a beach is usually not a good idea. There's no way to know what types of contaminates it may have. Additionally, you would have to sieve it all to remove all of the larger pieces and then rinse very well. You would also have to cure the sand for quite a while to ensure that you won't get an Ammonia spike in your tank.

thanks Curts...it makes sense to use sand enen for a FO tank then...now do I have to buy live sand or can I just use dry sand like caribsea sells?...thanks Denny

Buy dry sand. Then get a cup of live sand from an established tank to innoculate the dry sand with bacteria, pods, and possibly even worms.

What about not adding any live sand at all? I have a tank full of black estes sand, I wouldn't want to ugly it up with white sand. Would the sand eventually grow the live stuff from the addition of live rock? or should I start with fresh substrait?

Previously posted by Curt Swearing
Crushed Coral substrates can be used. However, most people won't use CC because it traps too much detritus. This trapped detritus decays raising your Nitrate and phosphate levels. Most fish can handle elevated nutrients quite fine. However, corals and other invertebrates cannot. As a result, you'll have to spend a lot of time siphoning out the CC with every waterchange. If you get lazy and don't do this, you can expect algae problems and unexpected coral/other invert deaths.

Collecting sand from a beach is usually not a good idea. There's no way to know what types of contaminates it may have. Additionally, you would have to sieve it all to remove all of the larger pieces and then rinse very well. You would also have to cure the sand for quite a while to ensure that you won't get an Ammonia spike in your tank.

I agree with Curt. I used crushed corals in my first setup and had to remove it because of the issues I had with high nitrate levels. They weren't totally from the crushed corals, but they did play a part. I live in the Bahamas and have seen what has happened to a friend of mine that used sand right off of the shorline in a tank. Parasites wiped out the whole tank! :eek: If I were to ever collect sand from the ocean, it would have to be quite a ways off of shore where there is no human interference and probably quarentine it in a sense to make sure nothing bad is in there:)

What about not adding any live sand at all? I have a tank full of black estes sand, I wouldn't want to ugly it up with white sand. Would the sand eventually grow the live stuff from the addition of live rock? or should I start with fresh substrait?

Welcome to RF!!!:) You don't have to add any live sand at all. My tank as well as a lot of others is bare bottom. Your live rock will seed the substrate as well as you can speed it up by adding a cup or 2 of sand from an established aquarium. In any event, the sand will eventually be consumed with all sorts of beneficial bacteria just by placing it in the tank with live rock etc.:)

Meche said:

Welcome Meche!!

Candidate for a Bare Bottom tank, I like that. As Khris said, you do not have to have sand on your tank if you prefer not to (I don't and could not be happier), just know the rules if you decide to go this way.

Actually you can't use sand from where you live in New Jersey, it is too fine. Stick with the Bermuda crushed coral. I tried New York sand in my first salt tank, thats when I found out about hydrogen sulfide.
Paul

Thanks "lil" luey and krish, I actually bought the black stuff thinking I was going to set up a freshwater tank :shock: ! The real stuff would probably look better in my dream tank but Im far from that yet so no worries. Plus, it looks, (in the words of Paris Hilton) HOT!
I'm glad to hear this stuff will work with live rock and other reef biology.

Sorry to whore the thread but... Luey how did you get to be a Bears fan living in AZ? Probably, almost as good as my story of being a Packers fan in CT, huh? ;)

Too fine?? Didn't know such a thing existed. It must be really fine sand!! I really like the extra fine sugar sand. I made the mistake of using a mix of fine sand and crushed coral in my first SW set-up. The CC sure does collect the algae. Way worse than my tank with all sugar sand.

i just got home to florida today.. i was thinking of taking a 5g bucket of sand back to louisiana when i return and trying it out in a small tank...we're going snorkeling tomorrow if it doesn't rain.. i am going to see if i can find some interesting fish..if i do, i may try to keep one again..i used to have a tank of sergeant damsels(or something almost identical)..i caught all of them right here by my house...i see some pretty cool fish every now and then

Meche said:
Thanks "lil" luey and krish, I actually bought the black stuff thinking I was going to set up a freshwater tank :shock: ! The real stuff would probably look better in my dream tank but Im far from that yet so no worries. Plus, it looks, (in the words of Paris Hilton) HOT!
I'm glad to hear this stuff will work with live rock and other reef biology.

Sorry to whore the thread but... Luey how did you get to be a Bears fan living in AZ? Probably, almost as good as my story of being a Packers fan in CT, huh? ;)

So the black stuff is for FW? make sure the package says it is ok also for SW.

I am actually from Chicago but after getting married I moved to NW Indiana, and then last year I moved to Az.
:mad: You are a Packers fan??:shock: You know I am going to dislike you twice a year, right? J/K.:D

Hmm, lots of crushed coral knocking, so I just wanted to chip in on its behalf. I use it in all my tanks, and I think its the best substrate option. I do not ever need to vaccum it or do anything to it. I perodically pick a spot and give it a good stiring, but its always quite detritus free. Nutrient levels have never been dectable, and algae is nill. I overfeed like a monster too :)

Luke,

You're also running a reverse under gravel filter and that changes the dynamics of the substrate substantially vs someone with just a CC substrate. Additionally, you never keep your tanks up long. I have a nano with CC and I would not recommend it for most users because it does require more maintenance.

So the black stuff is for FW? make sure the package says it is OK also for SW.
Would there be a difference? I bought it thinking I was going to use it for FW but I can't imagine there would be such a thing as "FW only" substrait. I have no idea what the package said.

My pH is in order so I don't think it has effected anything. Any other parameter you think it would bother that I could test for?

Back