Beating the Heat! Hot Subject!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm in JX Ms and I feel your pain.I've got 1/5 hp arctica chiller. When you get ready to hook yours up think about plumbing it remote. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

sorry but does anyone know what 103F is in Celecius (seriously people u need to switch to the metric system its so much easyer centemeters is much more accurate then inches but anyway
im am planning to buy a chiller for my out door farm tanks as they will have direct sunlight and it can get up to 40C 45C as for colling my tanks now i normally just get a bag of ice and put it on the top
last year i had a few temp problems had 3 day when i couldnt put the light on it was not 3 day in a row tho, 3 differnt day
i would like fans but not sure how to set them up that well do u have urs going straight to a power outlet or do u run them off an old computer supply

sorry but does anyone know what 103F is in Celecius (seriously people u need to switch to the metric system its so much easyer centemeters is much more accurate then inches but anyway
im am planning to buy a chiller for my out door farm tanks as they will have direct sunlight and it can get up to 40C 45C as for colling my tanks now i normally just get a bag of ice and put it on the top
last year i had a few temp problems had 3 day when i couldnt put the light on it was not 3 day in a row tho, 3 differnt day
i would like fans but not sure how to set them up that well do u have urs going straight to a power outlet or do u run them off an old computer supply

Haven't heard of that, how can one inch be more or less than one inch, how can that be less accurate? :lol:

You can run these fans with a universal power supply, just make sure it puts out the proper voltage & make sure it can deliver enough MA. for the fans being used, some fans you can daisy chain to each other & one off one of these just don't exceed the limits of the transformer.

sorry but does anyone know what 103F is in Celecius
Heres a nice calculator I use frequently when people post things with metric numbers

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

The answer to your question is... 103*F=39.444*C

And.... Im a carpenter and have been using our stupid inches for near 40 years. I can break and inch down to a 64th and get pretty accurate with that. We'll never change!!:razz:

I use to rely on fans only but I really love the chiller setup. The chiller has def been ran the last several days.

an inch in to 64th god damit what is that a 1mm all im saying is centmeters and millimeters and more acurate like a meter is a 100cm and a canter meter is 10 millimeters i just think its easyer to work with a whole i mean an inch is 2.5 cm, like a mile is 1.4 kms or something like that and if someone says to me i was goiong 50miles i dont think thats very fast but i think its like 80kms i mean my mates spedo goes up to like 280kms whats the higest your spedos go up to on an anverage car i dont know it just sounds faster
i mean u guys say u wont change over to metric but americas like 1 of only a few countrys that doesnt use it

but yeh bags of ice in your sump and then when it melts u have water for top up casuse hot weather does evaporate more water

103 thats not as hot as i thought it would be does it get hotter then that??

ROFLMAO! Morgan that is funny, yea we're anti Metric here in the US so when you communicate with us you need to convert otherwise we will think your crazy :D
There is no accuracy difference just easier math, I agree it is easier & quicker but we still use the metric system but as a secondary way of measurement here. I have seen it more & more these days, so in about another 50 100 years I think we will be converted:)
Sped o's are swimming shorts here so that could really be confusing huh!!:eek:

i mean u guys say u wont change over to metric but americas like 1 of only a few countrys that doesnt use it

Its used all over the US. Its usually dependent on the the industry. I use it every day at work and go back to fractional at 5pm.:)

Don

We actually are in the process of converting whether we like it or not. Half of the bolts on my Ford ( so called american made) truck are metric and the other half are standard. Inches and feet really are just as acurate as the metric system when youve grown up with them all your life. The conversion between the two is the difficult part. Thanks for the internet and conversion calculators.

Now to bring this thread back on topic...... I use a single fan over my tank here in Seattle. On real hot days, I call my on vacation wife in the afternoon and have her turn off the MH if temps are climbing too high.

My chiller is finally set-up, under the normal day temp. in my home of 80, it will eventually turn on later in the afternoon & run a good long time even with fans. I'm still tweaking this some, I want it to run little as possible. I may add a sump fan to see how it helps, also having it blow heat out of the sump, I'm hoping will make a big difference.

really in america they use the metric system so why have both sytems running?
all im saying is if u do technical drawing its easyer to use centermeters and millimeters over inches
do tape measuers in america have meters aswell as inchs on them?

spedos are swimming shorts lol no there budgie smugglers swimming shorts are boardys, board shorts cum on lads u got to get this aussie lingo in to ya's
i hearde sum aussie sheila was detained by police for saying "fair dinkum" to an air hostess that made sum news headlines here dont know if anyone on here saw that
do you know what tracky daks are? or do u call them sweat pants? tracky daks is in our english dictonary to that makes me laugh

yeah a bag of ice in the sump will do the trick

I use both measurement systems hand in hand daily, I deal with people & companies all over the world, surprised you will see a conversion in almost every product foreign to the U.S. It goes hand In hand here, I'm almost blind to the difference. Now that I have my chiller up & running I'm still tweaking water flow rates, & whether or not I should use a 2 degree swing or just one, so far I like the one because I find the chiller cooles fast the first 10 or 20 minutes than if left running a longer time because heat seems to build up, I will work on that & try to move more air in front to blow heat farther outward. During the day I open the hood & set the house A/C to 80df & still haven't gone over 81 yet.

i also use metric and standard measurement

standard in fraction and decimal is where my head burns out

Still having issues with my new chiller, this is the second one. I think in the evenings it is cooling but seems when the room temp. is around 78 or 79 it can't seem to keep up, I'm still in the process of testing it out but have called Aqua-Logic about it & they are prepared to send a third chiller to me at no cost, so if it doesn't keep up today I'll call back tomorrow & get another, it should maintain the tank temp. with the little heat being put into the tank. $900 investment, I think it should cool my tank easily & according to them it should also.

Still having issues with my new chiller, this is the second one. I think in the evenings it is cooling but seems when the room temp. is around 78 or 79 it can't seem to keep up, I'm still in the process of testing it out but have called Aqua-Logic about it & they are prepared to send a third chiller to me at no cost, so if it doesn't keep up today I'll call back tomorrow & get another, it should maintain the tank temp. with the little heat being put into the tank. $900 investment, I think it should cool my tank easily & according to them it should also.

What are you running that is putting so much heat into the tank. How are you feeding the chiller?

Don

My house A/C is timed to go fro 79 during the day to 77 at 4:30 Pm so when I get home the house is cooler. Yesterday from a 77 degree room it took three hours to get from 81 in the tank to 78! Today went home for lunch the house is at 79 & the chiller ran for the hour I was there & didn't drop a tenth even. Without the chiller I can open the hood with fans the tank won't go over 81 but with the hood down it will get close to 83. I'm running one MH & feeding the tank return with a sequence Uno Marlin, also it is Tee'd with a ball valve to feed the chiller. I found the optimal flow to get the most out of the chiller but with a higher ambient temp. it isn't cooling, also it isn't blowing out warm air even, last night it did when it was working. It might me some sort of switch the guy said.
BTW the first chiller had a leak, one of the welds was cracked!

Back