bending acrylic?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

I need to know the most effective way to bend 1/4'' acrylic with out scorching the acrylic? any ideas or methods you have use would be great. It is just a small project to build a filtersock holder but I want it to look good and I know how acrylic is with heat (flames)

Thanks for any advice...

Matt

cookie sheet in the oven...Just watch it like a hawk !
I did this once for a powerhead holder it bent just fine was able to get several attempts had to cool it down to retry it !!!

I use some PVC pipe for a jig and a heat gun, gives you a lot more control and a more consistent result, and it's a lot easier than holding it over a heat source...

anyone know of any local spots where i could go and get acrillic sheet.

A heat gun will work, even a propane torch.
Careful when using the torch because it can scorch the acrylic. It also bends very quickly

if your trying to bend a large area, use the oven on a cookie sheet @320 ish for about 8-10 minutes. The fumes might irritate the eyes a little but are not explosive like many people say, ventilation still a good idea

if your trying to bend a large area, use the oven on a cookie sheet @320 ish for about 8-10 minutes. The fumes might irritate the eyes a little but are not explosive like many people say, ventilation still a good idea

I use the oven all the time, but its not the safest option. For little stuff I use the oven and longer stuff I use a strip heater.Use common sense and it wont kill you. Turn the heat up a little and leave the oven door open to allow vapors to vent and use the exhaust fan. If the phone rings let it ring. If the wife comes home feeling frisky, tell here to wait.:) You dont want to get side tracked and leave it unattended.

Dont fool yourself accumulated acrylic vapors are explosive. The reason they burn your eyes is the same reason car exhaust burns your eyes. CO, HC are toxic and irritate your your eyes along with the rest of your body.

Don

I have some strips with hot wire in them. I got them from an auction at a aquarium builder a few years ago. There is an aluminum channel with the elements in it attached to a reheostat. Never used them yet. They are how they bent acrylic if it did not go in their big pizza oven.

Back