Berghia nudibranchs...best way to rid Aiptasia?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wulf

What is your experience with Aiptasia control? Berghia nudibranchs dealers claim the little slugs work wonders over time. Thoughts? Better solutions?

Thanks

What is your experience with Aiptasia control? Berghia nudibranchs dealers claim the little slugs work wonders over time. Thoughts? Better solutions?

Thanks

I recently read that peppermint shrimp eat Aiptasia too

I too am curious what is a better option
I've spotted a few aiptasia in my tank :eek:

Have you tried using a scat? A number of reefers here have been using scats for several years with very good results.

Here is a picture of some scats that have been acclimated to saltwater:
MR-DSC_8369.jpg

Last edited:
Wulf - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I've had really good luck using Peppermint shrimp. Not everyone can claim success, however, in two different systems I've been able to use peppermint shrimp to rid aiptasia. The 29 gallon was plagued with them recently, and I added one peppermint shrimp, and I'm down to very few. It has even eaten the huge monster ones.

Good luck! Let us know how the battle goes.

Here is a link to a post from awhile back. You can view this post, and if you're interested in the complete thread, click on the link in the top right of the post: Single Post - Let's Talk About ~Pests~

I just wanted to add that tonight I actually witnessed the peppermint shrimp devouring the remains of a rather large aiptasia. I was thrilled to see him in action. While I knew he was eliminating them, it was really cool to actually watch him do the work. I've named him Pepe the peppermint shrimp...which hopefully won't be his demise. I know people can be really superstitious about naming their salty friends.

also if you would like to add an additional fish, some copper banned butterflies do eat it as well. and the do look prized in the reef setup. they will keep aptasia to a minimum and won't die when regular mysis shrimp and other foods are offered aswell :)

The nudis and peppermint shrimp together will get rid of all the glass anenome in your tank. If you are getting nudis, get small ones as they don't live too long. If you can't get any from your local fish store, check out www.reefscavengers.com. We use them all the time and they are the best!

Another vote for the peppermint shrimp. I dropped one into my tank last week and he's cleaned up a nasty Aiptasia colony - now if only he could develop a taste for valonia.

too bad my fuzzy dwarf lion fish really likes peppermint shrimp,
I dropped 10 in about a week or two ago,
and I've not seen one since. :(

I have two pepermint shrimp in my tank I know they are stil alive i can see there foor prints in the sand (they like to run along the front on the tank).
But i still have the aptasia. Its only been two weeks so i'll give them moore time.

Will peppermints or copperbands also eat majano anemones? I have both kinds of anemones in my tank.

Back