Berlin skimmer any good?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

onehawksfan

Got Reef-er?
I was looking at picking up a Red Sea Berlin Turbo Classic protein skimmer. It seems relatively inexpensive. Has anybody had an experience with these? How do they compare to a Euroreef or AquaC?

Yes, they are garbage and the upgrade kit is a waste of a bad pump. I threw mine in the garbage rather than the bad karma of offering it for sale or free.

agreed with mike a peice of garbage! now time to figure out how to mod it for a reaction chamber or something expensive peice of junk.

well ... I got it for cheap so I cleaned it and plugged it in and it seems to be working all right. I guess it already had a "mod" with Rio pump. I am getting decent bubbles and wet skimmate. What specifically does everyone hate about it? How does it not work for you guys?

I had one of the first ones on the market over a decade ago. Replaced my limewood skimmer. Never did as good a job no mater how much I fiddled with it nor how powerfull a pump I ran it with. You will never get the level of skimmate a decent skimmer will get, meaning that the proteins and surfactants will still be in the water. Makes a great bubbler though.

Back