Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Which Controller

• Reef Keeper Elite

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Neptune Apex

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

tyson256031

I cant pick between the Apex or the Reef Keeper Elite. Which one do you all recommend?

Asking a person about their favorite controller is a lot like asking them about their favorite brand of salt. You're going to get a lot of answers that have nothing to do with how well the equipment works and a lot of folks unnecessarily defending their purchase. I have a Reef Keeper Elite and like it a lot. It's well made, setup is intuitive, and it has worked flawlessly for me since day one with the exception of a salinity probe failure that is being replaced under warranty. Unfortunately, DA has had a problem procuring a replacement they've been satisfied with so there are quite a few of us still waiting for replacements. I've got my controller setup so that I can monitor it from the net. Back in December the wife and I went of vacation to Thailand and I was able to check in on the tank throughout my trip. Take a look at my sig. Also, you can buy a hub for the system and monitor separate tanks. I plan on adding the 20 gallon I have in the garage to the system one of these days but I digress.

Finally, after a rather long delay, Digital Aquatics is set to release myReef 2.0. This software allows you to program, monitor, and control your system from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. I think that this is going to be the piece of the puzzle that puts the Reef Keeper over the top. I believe that the Apex can do this as well but someone else will have to answer that. I also believe that the Apex can control Tunze and Vortech power heads where the Reef Keeper can't. Frankly though, I have Vortech's and I don't feel like I need my controller to run them.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either system. From what I read when I was trying to decide it seems that they both work very well and they're isn't much difference in price. One last thing to consider is this. I don't know where Neptune Systems makes their stuff but Digital Aquatics is up in Woodinville and I like the fact that I'm supporting some local folks.

Mike

The one thing that I like about the apex there isn't a separate box for the net system as far as i know lol, but the DA unit it is nice to have a local company and ive heard great things about their customer service.

actually, I think their customer service needs to be improved. It's not that they have bad customer service, whenever I've gotten in touch with them they've been great, but they can be difficult to get in touch with. They've got email, web, and phone support but they're slow to respond. Great folks but they need to respond faster.

i get the feeling its a guy working from home. Always grfeat service swhen they get back to you.

I picked the elite I have a lite system and plan on getting an elite system even though I can hook up the lite to the net also. researched for a while it will better suit my needs and already know the programing portion I have played with both and do like them both.

I'm Liking the APEX more and more, but i want to read more on them and see what all i need to do. (which isnt much really, lights, ato, reactors, power heads, and then the standard temp and PH) Is there a way to make them do salinity?

When I bought my Elite I bought it as a package with the Net module. With that package you get an SL1 module that will monitor temp, pH and orp. I added an SL2 module (temp, pH and SG) and salinity probe to my order and simply sold the SL1 for a few dollars less than it cost to buy from DA. I wish that they offered module options with their packages.

Mike

Don't listen to that Mike guy, he is clearly out of his gourd. Favorite salt indeed.
Mortons DUH!
Unlike that Mike guy, I was smart and bought the Apex!
MY controller does NOT have a problem with the salinity probe in fact it does not have one at all!
I really like the Apex, but I'm sure that I would be (almost) as happy with the Elite.
I think up to now the Apex was a better buy cost-wise because of the built in web server, and the ability to control the controller remotely. This is less of an issue if DA has their software ready.
Also as Mike pointed out, if you have tunze or vortech, the wave maker is spiffy.
Mike has the right of it, you will be happy with either choice.
The best part is that when I went to vote I hit reefkeeper by accident :)
-Todd

Back