Best food there is bar none.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I don't really know anything about them, if they are a saltwater fish I would imagine they would be fine

Couldn't you just throw some in your homemaid food and blend them up? Then freeze them in IC trays. This way they are always getting a little of the oil.

You could but they are better whole, why don't you throw some of them in your homemade food after you blend it so you don't chop them up?

There are ways to mix them in the food without chopping them up. I have been adding them to my blend for 3-4 years :)

well i got some salmon eggs friday. its still in the roe from. but i cut a few small pieces off and let it fall in tank and my fish whent nuts. my vegetarian hippoe tang was even going crazy

WOOT i eat a half of lb of salmon every week... some times i skip but

I picked up some salmon eggs at my local Asian market tonight. At first fish were reluctant and ignored it, but eventually my 2 tangs and female clownfish ate some. The clownfish seemed to swallow whole without breaking it open. The tangs preferred to break them open before eating.

I also picked up some flying fish eggs which are much smaller. I'm assuming flying fish are the ones I've seen off the coast of southern California, and therefore saltwater fish. Are these eggs good, too? I like their size better since I don't have many big fish, and salmon eggs are a little hard for my smaller fish to eat.

Look in Scott michaels book, Hippo tangs aren't vegetarian, they are one of the few tangs that are carnivores.

Last edited:
I also found some smaller eggs. As long as they are saltwater eggs they will be fine. Those salmon eggs are real good food for bubble corals and other LPS corals as well as larger mouth fish. My Bangai cardinal as well as my hippo and most of the gobies eat them.

sweet I got some fresh ones coming soon to try out
KING salmon eggs at that..
And I just got some DENDROS that would prolly love them.

That explains why the little pig or "hippo" eats everything i put in the tank. Sometimes him and the clowns will take food straight out of my hand.
So they eggs might be good for my torch coral and open brain then huh?

When I was back in Russia for Christmas we ate them on bread and crackers. Oh wait we are tlking about feeding fish, right?

Another tasy one is the Tobiko eggs sold at the Asian markets. Again they can be fed to small fish as well but be sure to try some, they have a nice little snap to them!

I would recommend rinsing in RO water just to remove excess oil.

Well I got 2 steelhead yesterday and one today and have been tossing the eggs out for weeks. They are smaller then salmon eggs ( like BB size ) but are probably just as good for them. I will stary keeping them. I also thought of saveing the internal organs of the fish and shreading them for food for my anemones. I heard a story of a old lady that kept a anemone alive in a bucket on her porch by just replaceing the water everyday with NSW and fed it chicken hearts. Dont know if it was true and forget where I read about it.

First post here....hello everyone...

Jay

Well I got 2 steelhead yesterday and one today and have been tossing the eggs out for weeks. They are smaller then salmon eggs ( like BB size ) but are probably just as good for them. I will stary keeping them. I also thought of saveing the internal organs of the fish and shreading them for food for my anemones. I heard a story of a old lady that kept a anemone alive in a bucket on her porch by just replaceing the water everyday with NSW and fed it chicken hearts. Dont know if it was true and forget where I read about it.

First post here....hello everyone...

Jay
Welcome. Best first post ever!

Jason

I live near Edmonds, did you go to the Asian Market on Aurora Ave?

I picked up some salmon eggs at my local Asian market tonight. At first fish were reluctant and ignored it, but eventually my 2 tangs and female clownfish ate some. The clownfish seemed to swallow whole without breaking it open. The tangs preferred to break them open before eating.

I also picked up some flying fish eggs which are much smaller. I'm assuming flying fish are the ones I've seen off the coast of southern California, and therefore saltwater fish. Are these eggs good, too? I like their size better since I don't have many big fish, and salmon eggs are a little hard for my smaller fish to eat.

Back