best HOB skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
My moms breaking down her 115gallon reef tank cause its to much to handle and is setting up a little FOWL 44gallon corner tank. shes not doing a sump or anything. So she's looking for a good HOB skimmer. and was wondering what ones you all recommend

I believe it was aquacave that had some nice hang on octopus skimmers there you could check out. Heard some good feedback on a few of them and some will even allow for you to put a heater and a bag of carbon in. Check it out. I think it is www.aquacave.com where I saw them. Not at my computer so I can't confirm but hopefully that is right. :)

I was looking at a CPR Aeroforce Skimmer on Ebay, seems to have good reviews on it. anyone have any personal experience with this model?

Today I picked up a SWC BH 500 to put on my 29 long. Had an AquaC remora and a coralfe 100 on before. I wanted a single solution that I could also use later when I get a bigger tank. The thing is HUGE! So far only issue is the there are some large bubbles coming out of the return. Also once I shut off the pump dosen't like to start up again. It's not breaking the siphon, the pump just doesn't want to kick in without blowing into the air tube.

just let it break in the bubbles should subside...
as for the start-up issue?
you might want to pop the pump out and take the cover off to give it a visual verification that all is well,
it too will probably get easier for the pump to start once the impeller has been in operation for a few days...

I've always heard good things about the Deltec MCE600, Warner Marine's HOB's, and the new Super Reef Octopus HOB's, particularly their Super Reef HOB cone.

Mike

I had Marlin post for me earlier, my internet was bogged down and couldn't connect. These are the skimmers I am considering;
SWC B100F 189.99
Reef Octopus BH1000 159.95 (I found information that states the octopus and SWC are basically the same thing)
Aquamaxx HOB 1 199.99
CPR Aeroforce 179.99
Suggestions please!?
Suggestiosn please?

I've seen skimmy recommend quite a few of those you listed there. Maybe he'll chime back in as to which is the better option. :)

well, back in the day, the deltec mce600 used to be king...
but now I would say the sicce psk 2500 powered SWC hob skimmers
as well as the bubble blaster powered octopus skimmers
are king of the heap as far as powerful hob skimmers go... but spendy as well...

Last edited:
I had Marlin post for me earlier, my internet was bogged down and couldn't connect. These are the skimmers I am considering;
SWC B100F 189.99
Reef Octopus BH1000 159.95 (I found information that states the octopus and SWC are basically the same thing)
Aquamaxx HOB 1 199.99
CPR Aeroforce 179.99
Suggestions please!?
Suggestiosn please?

of the skimmers you list there, the aquamaxx HOB @$199 is probably my fav, because of the sicce silence pump they use.
but the other skimmers I mentioned in the post before this are much more powerful if you dont mind spending extra coin..

When I went up to Denver I initially was going for the SWC B100F but when I compared it against the BH500 I went with the BH 500. Almost the same in physical size the BH 500 had a larger skimmer cup and pump for $40 more.

Back