Best in sump skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks for the link, Steve. (wrightme43)
I looked at it but the dimensions seem to leave me with very little room for a refugium.
So I guess I’m gonna stick with the EV-120.
Besides.... Anything’s gotta be better than my current locally made wanna-be venturi! lol

Heck man a little bubble powered one will work. Just replace the wood with rena cermic microbubbler and get a quality pump. The bubble powered ones work. Thats where the whole idea for skimmer came from anyway. Bubbles left scum on the side of the tank. Somebody got a idea and now we have skimmers. Its only a 20 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. After the live rock is in you will be lucky if you have 21 gallons total water volume. You really dont need to go crazy on a skimmer for a huge tank.

I have a g3 and it really does work well, I have a very low bio load and I do weekly 5-10% water changes and it still pulls out 1/3 to 1/2 a cup of nasty skimmate.

for the size and volume you will be running aTurboflotor 1000 & ocean runner pump would be cost effective and more skimmer than you need. they need to be set up properly, a direct line from overflow split into 2 lines each with a valve. one goes directly to skimmer the other dumps into the sump. between the two valves and the air throttle adjustments built into the skimmer it is pretty easy to dial in what ever kind of foam you want to produce. about $200 with the pump.

Get the EV-120, I'm sure you will be happy with that on a 20 gallon and also you can continue using it if you upgrade tanks in the future. Make sure you buy the recommended pump for your skimmer. If you want wetter skimmate, you can get an oversized pump and throttle it back to your liking.

If anybody is going to get an Aqua-c buy 1 size bigger pump then they recommend. Then use the air flow to get the quality skimmate you want. I have a 180 with a mag 9.5 that I can skim wet enough to do water changes or pinch valve back and skim dark coffe-like skimmate. IME

Well due to some bad measuring I ended up with a asm g-3 skimmer for my 75 gallon tank today. I was for a customers 150 gallon. I went to install it after measuing 24" 1/8" clearence. It fits in the sump. As long as I dont want to put the top on or take of the cup to empty it. DUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got it wet and assembled it, so I cant return it. Now it is skimming the heck out of my tank with the little bitty 20 long sump. It is stinking huge. So now I get the dummy award for the day. Steve It is a awful nice skimmer though.

I have a euroreef skimmer and it skims like crazy its very quiet for the size model is es6-2+. I have a 125 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump I am running 3 175 watt metal halides, 4 96 watt power compacts, a 25 watt aqua uv sterilizer w wiper, a cl 300 pacific coast chiller and a mag drive 18 pump. I was running a phosphate reactor but the rowa phos was tooo expensive. :lol:

spankerbob said:
Wrightme43- Do you want to sell the g3? I would be willing to get a second one, as my boiload grow so will my skimming needs.
Thank you but no. I am very happy with it now. It is pulling out all kinds of junk. I will upgrade one day anyway. I have to say it is a awesome skimmer. I got it from Dave at www.vividaquariums.com they are on sale right now. Sorry Steve

EV-180 or ASM G-3

all right. need a little help. Which one of these skimmers will do the best job
Thanks,
Dave

Well that is a subjective question. It depends on the size of the tank, the bioload in the tank, and how much money you want to spend. I have the G-3 I am very happy with it. If you have a 55-75 gallon tank loaded like mine and a sump that will fit a G-3 I would recomend it. If you have something different maybe a different skimmer would do better for you. You cant go wrong with euro reef, if you follow thier size guidelines. ASM I think is a little over optimistic on thiers so its best to get the next size up. Hope this helps in some way and feel free to look thru the gallery at peoples tanks and if you see one you like pm them and ask how thier tank is maintained like you see it. Steve

I'm looking at setting up a 110 gal reef tank with a good handfull of filsh. I plan to do a 30 gal sump/refugium. I'd like to spen less than the 400 on the EV-180 if I can but I don't want to sacrifice skimming capability.
Any other thoughts?

I personally have never used a EV series skimmer. I hear they are very good skimmers, though without using one longterm I dont feel comfortable recomending it to you. If I were you I try a search on here for aqua c ev series and see what you can find. Sorry I am not more help there. I like the G-3 and the G-5 the G-1 is ok for small tanks and the G-2 and G-4 are underpowered in my mind. Steve

A quick question about skimmers,
Is it the same air used over and over again to froth the water, or is new air constantly being circulated?
Also, if my tank is just under 400 litres (50 gal) and the sum is 100 litres, do i need a skimmer that can do up to a 500 litre tank, or will one that does up to a 400 litre tank.

Bigger is always better.

In my humble opinion I don't believe you can overskim a tank (others will disagree).

If you have a venturi driven skimmer fresh air is constant sucked in to the mixing chamber (make sure there's no use or aerosol cans or dirty air near the tank).

Back