Best in sump skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

needlewheel are great and beckets can be better. euroreef is easy and not too expensive but a becket can skim a little better.

Like brad says there is more too it then saying this is the best skimmer ever. You have to decide how much power you want to use to run it. Skimmers like euroreef use less then 50w usually, and perform really well. A beckett skimmer however can really pull some gunk out of the system but you will need a pump that will use 200+w for peak performance! That will make a big difference in the long run on operating costs. So look at Euroreef, ASM, Deltec, Bubbleking, MRC, PM, and soon IAP all for great skimmers. If you spend less then $250 you will usually be sorry later because you will be spending more plus what you already spend, you will be wishing that you had ponied up in the first place. Most people make this mistake, and then pay for it later, with bad water quality and then a new skimmer.

im not looking for an extremly powerful skimmer, it is only for a 20 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump but i would like to keep maybe around 8 - 10 small fish not to sure about that thought.

Remora or urchin for something like that. I have lots of prizms and wish I didnt. LOL My dumb but making mistakes for you, like Tom said

Is there any reasons why you guy’s don’t consider AquaC’s EV series in-sump skimmers to be part of your lists? :confused:

Just curious because I’m really considering buying the EV-120 model in the near future.

i went a looked up the aqua c urchin skimmer and read a review on the site and it says it out performes the berlin skimmer by red sea. any idea about how good turboflotor skimmers are?

I think i might invest in a urchin pro it sounds pretty good. would it be good for a heavily stocked 20 gallon w/ 10 gallon sump

Urchin Pro would be great. I'm using a regular Urchin on my newish tank of the same size, and its going to be way more than sufficient.

-Dylan

ev-120 is supposed to be OK but for the same money you can get a ASM G-2. As for the urchin pro. They are decent skimmers but you can slightly hear the injector. It would probably be $30 more for a ES-5-2 from ER and it is great for smaller tanks up to 75 gallons or so.

Thanks for your input, bradreef.
I’m a little vague when it comes to skimmer models.
Who makes the ASM G-2, and where could I go to get more info on it and possibly where to buy it?

I like the compact size of the EV-120 since I’m also planning to put my skimmer down in the sump, but I’m also trying to save as much room as possible for the refugium section that I also plan to incorporate into this sump. All this planning is for my current 40 gallon reef tank. I only have enough room in my stand for a 20 gallon high aquarium to be used for the sump/refugium, so space is limited.

I've never heard anything bad about the AquaC Ev series. Doesn't mean they're the best choice, but they certainly seem to receive high reviews by their owners.

-Dylan

My experience with the urchin was a good one in keeping my 46gal levels where they should be but I can add the skimate from it was very dry (sludge-like skimmate) regardless of adjustment. If you are looking to have a high bioload some people reccomend a skimmer that produces wet skimate (cofee like).

Anyone else have a different experience?

Here's a comment asking for cannon fodder :) I ran a Seaclone which I purchased for 65.00 and it produced coffee-like skimate and more than the urchin. I "upgraded" to the urchin due to popular practices. I still keep the seaclone around... It has sentimental value to me now ;) I am not sure they make an in-sump version though...

Last edited:
Consistency and content. I do not have a breakdown of the exact differences however I do believe wet, but dark skimmate is the goal for folks trying to maintain very low nutrient levels. I get about 1-2 cupa of the coffee-like stuff daily, but I also get an accumilation of the sludge on the inside of the skimmer neck and the top of the skimate cup.

My urchin only contained the sludge build up. Keep in mind an urchin is rated to I believe 75gal so you are going to be fine with it regardless.

The other reason I reccomended the Urchin or Urchin pro is the size. A 10G sump will be dominated by the Urchin Pro even, much less one of the larger ones. This make plumbing and maintainance a lot more difficult. (Unless you stand is massivly oversized for a 20G tank)

-Dylan

Back