Best macro algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The cheato in my tank was grown from a little handful someone gave me 2 tanks ago when I first got in to salt water systems. I've tossed gallons of it and it still keeps growing.

I'm actually in process of setting up a macro tank. Still have to finish rebuilding the tank though

I keep my fuge light on 24H a day to stop my caulerpa from going sexual, but with that taken care of, I love it. It seems to grow WAY WAY faster than my chaeto. Its doing an awesome job of being a nutrient sponge. Keeping my phos and nitrates at zero.

the average weekend

What are you doing in bonney lake this weekend? Checking out someones tank?

I was debating going up there also to see todd's tank (TJL).

Eww is stopping by on sat, and I was thinking about rolling up there with him

dropping off shrimp with cyberdeth (And nieces birthday) anygood tanks to look at in bonney lake?

I plan on getting some Cheato for this media basket for my aio red sea max 250. The top shelf will hold the cheato while the other two bottom shelf for CPE. Do you think this is enough space for cheato to help out some? I have no choice anyway since it is an AIO tank. BTW, anyone has some extra cheato they're throwing away I can have? I can come pick up. My media basket won't be here for another 2-3 days. Please let me know

Last edited:
red flame alge grows fast and looks cool. ise that and purple grape calurpa.

I keep my fuge light on 24H a day to stop my caulerpa from going sexual, but with that taken care of, I love it. It seems to grow WAY WAY faster than my chaeto. Its doing an awesome job of being a nutrient sponge. Keeping my phos and nitrates at zero.

Am wondering, is there any down side to keeping fuge light on 24/7 apart from energy consumption which is minimal with a led or CF light. Have always heard the thing about having them on opposite cycle to DT lights to keep PH up, never thought about keeping it on 24/7. Also, what are people using Kelvinwise? I have read 5500 is best for chaeto..

lol i think its personal pref.
I like a diversity so i have hamilida, mexi calupra, and chaeto...also some flame and some darker red stuff but wider than flame algaes...

I do have a ball of spagetti/chaeto if someone wants it...

Hi everyone I'm trying to do a planted tank.... I have caulerpa and chaeto... was wondering if anybody has any other macros they would suggest? If your near puyallup or Graham would like to see.

edited out tel# on open forum, Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
I have calurpa mexicana and long blade calurpa in my display. Both are really nice in the display , so is flame algae or dragons breath. Just have to be careful because they can take over the tank . I'd like to have some tangs but don't want my macro algae to get all ate up.

Last edited:
I cant keep any in my display... I have a yellow tang that eats everything, but I have chaeto, long blade calurpa and flame in my sump.

Back