Best magnet cleaners for acrylic tanks?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I haven't tried this but how about trying to hammer a plastic wedge (putty knife) between the two magnets? I know I was warned to never get them stuck together and I am paranoid every time I use them. So far I haven't, knock on wood!

bummer Vicki, I have tried like hell to get the great white apart but it doesn't want to play nice. I all most pulled the bench over on myself using the vice and a pipe wrench. If I bolted the bench to the wall and had a couple guys hold the bench still, I think I can twist them apart. :doubt:

Thanks to two wonderful gentlemen at the PSAS meeting Saturday!
I think they were friends of Ed, and one's name was Rod. He said that they weren't members here on Reef Frontiers though.

I didn't see it actually happen, but the two of them successfully parted the two magnets. They were sitting down too! It's GREAT having both my magnets back in action.

I couldn't believe they actually got them apart.
I heard it had something to do with Physics!

Vicki

Wow, this thread come up at just the right time. I just ordered the hammerhead, and I currently use a mag float that really isn't meant for 1/2" acrylic.

I like the diaper idea, but may get funny looks from friends if they see diapers around and I don't have kids:eek:

Good info, you may have saved my new tank from several scratches! :D

Thanks everyone.

I just ordered one also for my 1/2" acrylic tank, novus also, now my question is do you leave the magnet in the water? I usually leave the mag floater attached in a back corner out the way but always under water, the hammerhead looks to be made of wood, so now it has me wondering what is best???

I just ordered one also for my 1/2" acrylic tank, novus also, now my question is do you leave the magnet in the water? I usually leave the mag floater attached in a back corner out the way but always under water, the hammerhead looks to be made of wood, so now it has me wondering what is best???

Personally, I prefer to remove my magnet each time and rinse the pad with fresh water and put it back in the box for safe keeping. I fear that some sand could get in the water column and and settle in the pad that I wouldn't know about and I would scratch the acrylic next use. This is probably just paranoid me but I do like to rinse off the algae anyway. I suppose this could easily happen during cleaning too. I also stay clear of the snails on the tank sides in case they have some sand in them plus it seems mean to knock them off!

Back