Best MH Bulb

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fijikid

Hello,

I am due to replace my MH 250 bulb on my 55 gallon and I am curious to see what brand and type (10,000, 15,000 or 20,000) of bulb I should replace with.

Thank you ALL!!

:)

Fijikid,

The color temp of the light is a personal choice. Some enjoy the whiter colors... some favor the bluer. If you would like to see something that will give you a side-by-side comparison of various bulbs... try out this website:

http://metricksystem.com/chris/250wcolour/

Hope this helps some with your choice!

I prefer the 10k range & supplementing with fluorescents for color, this way you get the best of both worlds, PAR & COLOR! USHIO & XP produce outstanding performance, Iwaski's preform best but even with supplementation they still have lots of yellowish to them! JMO take it for a grain please!

I think Scooterman meant USHIO and XM up above, unless I am mistaken.

Best,
Ilham

i really like my 10k reeflux looks more blue like a 12kor 14k but decent par. my monti is growing like crazy under it

I am using a Mogul base and like my tank to be bright. Also forgot to mention that I am using 2-48" fluorescents in the tank besides the MH. With the comments and links about it looks like the Ushio 250-10000 may be what I am looking for.

Any feedback?

Another reeflux vote here.. Ive used them all and like the reeflux the best. Good PAR without have to sacrifice to color.

XM's to me produce a better looking color than the USHIO also but when you wash them out with supplements it is better, I'd shoot for a PAR of around 500 & then whatever color.

I use 20K XM's and love the color they have burned into. At first they were too blue, but now they are just right for my liking:)

You guys are so polar. 10k or 20k, what about 14k phoenix bulbs, or 15k XMs. I personally started with 10k, then 13k, now 15k and I think I still want to go bluer even with actinics. I have found over the years that I would rather have bright, brilliant, amazingly colored corals with a generally pleasant coloring of the tank than faster growth.

Mat

Ed hit the nail on the head. Personal preference. In the past year I have gone from XM10K to 20K back to 10K, then to 15K back to 10K and now I am trying Hamilton 14K bulbs. XM 10K bulbs are a VERY bright crisp white. Some say a little yellow. I believe a lot of that is dependant on what is in the tank. My sebae and xenias look a little more yellow but they are yellowish anyway. Anything above 10K and you start to lose PAR very quickly. A 20K XM bulb has ~1/2 the PAR of a 10K bulb. If you want bright...XM10K or reportedly Reeflux 10K. Both are priced right as well.

What bulb are you currently using? I have several old XM10Ks you could borrow to check out the color.

Reeflux makes a 10k and 12k. I haven't seen any numbers on the 12k. It suppose to perform similar to the 10k, but have a slightly bluer tint. Any word?

Currently...and will continue to use XM10ks for anemone tanks.

I have yet to try ReefLux, but other anemone tanks seem to do well under them.

I prefer SE versions of bulbs.

As far as XM15ks, it's been the worst flop bulb i've ever tried.

Best,
Ilham

if you follow the thread over at RC on the Reeflux bulbs, they seem to have some quality issues. Lots of bulbs starting or turning pink.

Mat

Back