Best of Both Worlds

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Xenderdrax

G'day....... Here in Australia Aqua one has just released to the market their two in one lighting combination, both Metal Halide and Fluorescent in the one unit. Now they look spectacular, and logically they would do a great job, but they’re as expensive as sin.

Have any of the members had any experience with this type of lighting combination?? What’s your opinion on it??

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I think I know what you mean by the combination lighting, but I want to double check. Is it a hood/fixture that has both sets of lights in it? Here is an example of what I'm picturing: 48 inch HQI & PC Lighting Fixture

NaH2O said:
Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I think I know what you mean by the combination lighting, but I want to double check. Is it a hood/fixture that has both sets of lights in it? Here is an example of what I'm picturing: 48 inch HQI & PC Lighting Fixture

Thats the animal!! The model I saw was for a 4 and 5 foot tank and had more of both types of lights of course, but is it really worth the expense?? :confused:

I guess that depends on whether or not you can put together the lights from pieces or would prefer plug and play. If I hadn't had anyone to build my canopy and install my lights for me, I would have gone with a pendant already put together. I was able to save money by purchasing the pieces and having the other half wire it all up.

Hope that helps :)

Xenderdrax,
What are you wanting to keep in the tank? I've got an SPS/clam/anemone tank right now with just 10K DE Metal Halides and the tank is doing just fine. I will admit that I'm in the process of getting my VHO's set up over the tank though just for aesthetics...and I want a dawn/dusk effect over the tank.

Nick

Have to agree with Nikki on the fact that- if you or someone you know can wire up the components you will save a lot of money by just buyin the retro kit instead of the whole setup, but that is a nice setup overall

Back