Best Overflow System

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Which overflow settup is the best?

• Total voters

YamahaF934

I am building a 140 gallon which will be in the living room so I am looking for a quite and I mean quite overflow. Which overflow design do you like and if you have time explain why.

Thanks,

Forgot about bean animal but the tank I have has dual overflows on both ends. So a Herbie system would use all of my bulkheads.

Last edited:
I really like my bean animal - which is basically a herbie, on drugs - its dead silent (although the noise of my pumps would probably drown out any overflow), and the default design with the backup dry pipe for when the main lines get clogged saves my a$$ weekly as I always forget to change my filter socks regularly ;)

Herbie is dead silent. We loved it when we had it on our previous tank. No personal experience with the bean animal but I've heard the same thing about them. We have a durso now and it is very quiet but not silent.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bean...but not sure how you would make work with dual overflows. If you're still building you could do a coast to coast overflow but if built then you're limited to what you've got. Tell us how you're drilled right now.

Mike

Last edited:
Tank is already built with corner overflows. One 1 inch and one 3/4 inch bulkhead on each. Currently no plumbing in tank as I wanted to do it all my self and replace the bulkheads.

I have a herbie system and it is great (and it has 'flood protection' with the second drain.

Bean is a step up from herbie from what I have read, no experience though. Herbie works great for me

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Tank is already built with corner overflows. One 1 inch and one 3/4 inch bulkhead on each. Currently no plumbing in tank as I wanted to do it all my self and replace the bulkheads.

I have the same thing. The 3/4" become the siphon, the 1" remains a durso, and the returns go up and over the edge. I use a "halide canopy" and a painted back so visible plumbing is not an issue. I would drill the back of the tank and add a 3rd hole for the return if I needed to.

I have changed the plans to a Herbie style overflow. I will use the 1 inch bulkhead as the siphon and the 3/4 inch as the emergency.

How easy/good will this system work with two siphon drains?

SUMP1-2.jpg

Thats ^^^^^^^^ what I've had on my 210 for the last three years. Works great and is dead silent. The power heads make more noise than the overflows

The syphons carry more water than you might expect. The 3/4 are better for syphon (hardware is cheaper). If the 3/4 gets jogged (funny how the snail of just the right size fits) you will have capacity on the other and it will gurgle.

My pump is the big marineland submersible and the left syphon is 85% and the right is 90%.

I'm running the herbie with 3/4'' siphon 1'' safety. My 70 is 10ft from my bed and I have it tuned so fine I don't even here a trickle.

I am using a CPR CS202 Overflow Box - Dual overflow using PVC Rated at 1500gph on my 65g.

Eshopps ADV-100 Sump - with MAG 12 Return

And this setup is LOUD! I really need to figure out how to lower the noise level. I need to redesign my PVC for the return so i am currently using plastic tubing for the return. Could this be the problem? That im using 1inch PVC on the drains, and only plastic tube on the return?

Sorry hope im not thread jacking but at least i am advising everyone to avoid this setup.

The return shouldn't have much to do with the noise level. The point of a herbie is 90-95% of the flow is siphoning through the main drain while the safety is BARLEY running. Resulting in a super quiet high flow drain.

I am clear on what a Herbie overflow is, and assume the bean animal and stockman are improvements beyond basic Herbie!? Does anybody have link showing the added feasures of bean animal?

Bean animal is an improvement on the herbie. Search google. I think there is a thread on reef central discribing it (bean animal is his username)

Stockman (and also durso) are standpipe modifications you can do to quiet the drains. Not like a herbie (which runs full syphon). I think I have that right

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

You can go to www.beananimal.com, and look on the right hand side under projects. You get the history, pictures, etc. For something fun, look up how he got the nickname "Bean Animal" - pretty funny, actually.

ChadO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back