Best place for live rock?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Stomatopod

What would be the best place to get live rock? All I see in my LFS are these yellow chunks and purple aquacultured stuff. :noidea:

Or you could look on craigslist for some good deals, perhaps the classifieds here may have some or you could post a wanted add. I don't know where you are located but there are many LFS's up here with nice rock. Online you could check out Marco rocks.

Agree, get macro base rocks. Its cheaper and you don't have to deal with pests.
Is it me, or do I sound crazy by saying I actually want those pest :crazy: I would love to get mantis, teddy crabs, asterina, microbrittle and lots more! One thing I love about the ocean is the ammount of life to discover, and using fake decor or rock without hitchhikers kinda takes away from it all. Naturally I would just catch them all and keep them in the overflow box or refugium seperatly!

Well you do not want aptasia, majano, flatworms, hydroids, vermatid snails, parasites, ect. ect. ect. That said I have never used base rocks. You could get some base rock and seed it with some live rock. Or as I said before go on cl or the classifieds sometimes you can get a great deal like 2-4 bucks a pound.

Is it me, or do I sound crazy by saying I actually want those pest :crazy: I would love to get mantis, teddy crabs, asterina, microbrittle and lots more! !

Be careful what you ask for.

Sometimes you can't just catch them and put them where you want them.

Buy dead rock and cook it yourself. Ensures less pest on the rock and no side from past dosing or nuking of the tank. That's if you have time.

I got 50ilbs of live rock from VividAquariums.com and the rest from MarcoRocks, they both have great rock. Vivid is live rock and Marco Rocks is all dead.

I get all of my rock from Craigslist and rfs classifieds. That's definitely the way to go, I never pay more than $2 or $3 a pound

Back