Best reef safe and non- shrimp eating brittle star?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

frameguy

Hello, I have a 90 gallon reef. I would like to add a safe brittle star as part of Clean Up Crew. I have Lysoma cleaner Shrimp. Is there a good detritus cleaner that won't eat shrimp, hermits or small fish? Thanks for feedback.

I am moving over to Olalla and in the middle of July I will be disassembling my tank and moving all my critters into a larger tank. I have tons of brittlestars and you are welcome to some. They are very reef safe, have never bothered my peppermint shrimp, they just hide in the rocks. I can contact you when I get over there and I will get a few for you. I don't know if that is what you are looking for, but just thought I would respond.

THanks Husker, I am interested. And welcome to the neighborhood, I am almost in Olala. It is a killer place to live. Email me when you come, and if you need help with the tank, give me a shout, I have a ton of rubbermaid tubs and sealable water jugs ( 5 gallon) Cheers, Ian

I have a red brittle star that is larger than a soft ball and he has never bothered anything in my tank. He will clean up a fish if it dies but has never killed any.

Hey thanks, I had a huge Green Bristle star that I got with some live rock and livestock I bought. It was beautiful but I put a shrimp in tank and he has been hiding up on skimmer output so I donated him to local LFS. Hopefully cleaner shrimp will relax! Cheers from Seattle

THanks Husker, I am interested. And welcome to the neighborhood, I am almost in Olala. It is a killer place to live. Email me when you come, and if you need help with the tank, give me a shout, I have a ton of rubbermaid tubs and sealable water jugs ( 5 gallon) Cheers, Ian

I lived in Port Orchard before, out by the entrance to the drag strip at the airport, on Old Clifton Road a few years ago. Now were coming back. I will send you a PM.

I have had a harlequin serpent star for over a decade. Stays hidden most of the time but beautiful
They look like this picture
large_251_harlequin_serpent_star.jpg

i have a red brittle star in my 75, never bothers anything, cleans sand and rocks, i have a few sps, pls, zoas a few, seems to be doing excelent, looks just like the harlequin serpent star fish the only difference is the color, mine is all red, cool looking star i think

I have had a harlequin serpent star for over a decade. Stays hidden most of the time but beautiful
They look like this picture
large_251_harlequin_serpent_star.jpg

I have one as well, totally reef safe. I've had her in different tanks with cleaner shrimp, camel shrimp, and a coral banded. I also got really lucky because she's out 90 percent of the time. She likes to hang out under my frogspawn.

Back