Best Salt Mix for Mixed Reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JFish180

Anthony,

I currently use Instant Ocean salt mix on my mixed reef tank, but am considering switching to Kent salt mix because I can get it cheaper. Do you think Kent sea salt is better/worse for my tank? Also, what salt mix do you currently use or consider to be the "best for a reef tank"?

Thanks,
Jared

Hey dood welcome to RF !!!

I have used kent Sea salt and for me, it was a good salt just as good as instant Ocean.
The only reason i changed was because for me, it was a little bit more expensive than Instant Ocean but other than that, i had no problems with it.
just my opinion

Hi Jared,
I'm no Anthony for sure but, I just read an article(sorry about no link) but it was a comparison study of about 10 salt products. It was obvious to see that Instant Ocean faired better in almost all areas. Meaning, has far less negitive by products and more of what you need in your salt. I would'nt switch. I can say I remember Kent not being very high on the list.

Tom C.

Last edited:
I've used Coralife in the past but, my Ca and pH were always out of wack. I've started using SeaChem Reef Salt and my Ca and pH have seemed to stablize.

It really does not matter what salt you use... you should be adjusting the ALK and Ca before you do water changes. You should also be dosing ALK and CA in some for or another anway. Some salts need more of an adjustment than otheres, some may match your ideal operating conditions when first mixed.

Bean

Thanks, but what about phosphate and nitrate? My goal is zero phosphates by performing frequent water changes and using aggresive skimming, without having to use Phosban, Rowaphos, etc.

Jared

IO had the lowest PO4.... it was avg in regards to nitrate. The nitrate is not an issue however, and can be easily dealt with by aeration and the natural NNR of your tank.

My goal is zero phosphates by performing frequent water changes and using aggresive skimming, without having to use Phosban, Rowaphos, etc.

You may already know this, but just incase, a fuge with a macro algae in it may help you here to use up excessive nutrients as well. HTH

Thanks,

So sticking with IO may be my best bet? I already use a refugium, which helps keep nitrates at 0 ppm. My biggest concern was/is phosphate, which currently is about 1 ppm (I need to get a lower range test kit).

Also, I previously supplemented calcium/alk. via B-ionic, yet have switched over to dosing kalk. If I remember right, IO has slightly low calcium levels. Should I use kalk. to raise calcium/alk. of freshly mixed salt water before performing water changes? I will be greatly increasing the frequency and volume of water changes and do not want to stress the corals unnecessarily.

Jared

Myself I prefer to use a salt that contains the right levels of everything including calcium; that way there is no doctoring up or worries about my current levels dropping when I do a water change instead the environment is improved.

WaterDogs said:
Myself I prefer to use a salt that contains the right levels of everything including calcium; that way there is no doctoring up or worries about my current levels dropping when I do a water change instead the environment is improved.

Where do you get this salt?

JFish180 said:
Thanks,

So sticking with IO may be my best bet? I already use a refugium, which helps keep nitrates at 0 ppm. My biggest concern was/is phosphate, which currently is about 1 ppm (I need to get a lower range test kit).

Also, I previously supplemented calcium/alk. via B-ionic, yet have switched over to dosing kalk. If I remember right, IO has slightly low calcium levels. Should I use kalk. to raise calcium/alk. of freshly mixed salt water before performing water changes? I will be greatly increasing the frequency and volume of water changes and do not want to stress the corals unnecessarily.

Jared

Not kalk, just a little calcium chloride to the IO the alk should be fine right out of the bucket. some batches need a little mg addition.

Don

I would not change from IO. I changed once based on cost and paid for it for the next 6 months. My tanks lost their minds. Hair algae everywhere, coral looking bad, general loss of colors. I switched back to IO and everything quickly recovered.

Don't let cost, or IO's insane marketing, drive you to a different salt.

I'd feel this way reguardless of the salt brand. If it looks good for you stay with it.

waterdawg, you still have to suppliment in between water changes. Also, it's a one time calculation. You figure out how much needs to be added to a gallon of change water and go from there. Takes 2 seconds to drop the supps in when your mixing the salt.

Also depending on the size of your water change as a percentage of your total volume, there is likely little effect even if you don't doctor the water.

I am a long time (approaching 20 years now) loyal IO user. I have always been happy with it and feel it is the best value salt on the market among quality brands.

That said... if money/value were not a concern, then I'd use Tropic Marin without a doubt. I think it is the best salt in the industry among hobby brands. But it is not so much better to me that I'm willing to pay the extra $ for it in my region/market.

Anthony Calfo said:
I am a long time (approaching 20 years now) loyal IO user. I have always been happy with it and feel it is the best value salt on the market among quality brands.

That said... if money/value were not a concern, then I'd use Tropic Marin without a doubt. I think it is the best salt in the industry among hobby brands. But it is not so much better to me that I'm willing to pay the extra $ for it in my region/market.

Anthony, would that be the Tropic Marin or the Tropic Marine Pro Reef?

I haven't used TM Pro... been quite happy with regular TM for many, many years.

I'm sure its a fine salt too... but wonder if its like Reef Crystals to IO?

That is to say, its perhaps not as good of a value since the spiked minerals are not so high that they will carry you to the next water change without supplementation. So if you are going to have to supplement anyway, why not use a salt (IO, TM) that is closer to the natural baseline with a track record (decades) for recipes that are tried and true?

Just my perspective on it :)

Thanks Anthony. I will be switching over the next few months and I have already decided on TM... I just was not sure which.... I appreciate your perspective.

Back