best type of protein skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

derrick206

i am not that experienced when it comes to the best types of setups for mu tank but i have a 120 gal with tons or red algae i need to get a protein skimmer because mine broke but don't know what type to get it 48"24"24" with a 40 gal sump overflow and 6 powerheads rio 900's please help its going down hill fast

what types are good

i guess i should ask in a different way. what is a good protein skimmer brand to buy?

there are many that are good for a 120 the high end price range h+s are good and deltec, euroreef those are going to be 750 -1200 dollars depending on size. the new euroreef rs seriies is a little less though. The mid to lower price range would be aquac, asm, and octopus skimmers. I would recomend the octopus 200 which is an 8inch by 24 inch skimmer if you are looking to save money. the other lower budget option is an asm g3.

Precision Marine (a little pricey but do a good job)

Or you could build your own?

Usually a tall skimmer works best because it allows the bubble to spend more time in the water to collect more waste.

well if all you have in there for flow are those rio powerheads, and theres red slime everywhere, it's probably a good indicator that there isnt enough flow in your tank....
as for skimmer for your 120 reef, i'd say euroreef rs150 or rs8-2. if you cant afford one of those, then the octopus 200 as brad suggested is pretty decent for the cash...

Back