best way to build a sump with glass tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sounds like you have everything planned out nicely which sounds good. The only reason I suggested to go with a bigger sump was because I thought you had tons of space to work with. My sump, if filled to capacity will only hold about 18 gallons of water. My tank on the otherhand, is a 90, but for a sump, that was all I could fit. In order for me to go bigger, I would have to take down my tank, set in the sump and drop the stand over it (which didn't make any sense to me because if something went wrong I have to take down the tank to get my sump out). IMO, if you decide to go with a glass sump or an acrylic they would both work fine. Granted, an acrylic or plexi sump would be easier to modify in terms of drilling etc, but you can always find a way to do what you need with a glass sump. Infact, I could have easily bought a glass tank and use it for my sump because nothing in my sump is drilled...All my pumps are internal.

Gosh Bob, you're a good planner. Congratulations! ( sincerely ) Don't use "plexiglas", use Acrylic. I really like your "work setup"!

> Wave98 :)

Don't use "plexiglas", use Acrylic

What's wrong with plexi? If you use thick enough plexi it wouldn't be a problem (if it is strength you are talking about). My CPR overflow is acrylic and I already had to repair that.

I'm not the expert on this, but I have done a lot of investigating on this subject, and those more expert sources that I run across, always say, use acrylic, not "plexiglas". Melevsreef.com is the best source I've seen, and I hear BigT on this forum is exceedingly knowledgeable. ;)

If my memory serves me here, I believe that the acrylic glues better, is less prone to "crazing", and is stronger as well. It holds it's clarity way better, and it is bendable with heat, where "plexiglas" some issues in this regard. :D

I defer recpectfully to Marc at Melevsreef and BigT "here" at RF.

Hope that helps!

Happy reef keeping! > Wave98 :)

Plexiglass is a extruded material. Solvent bonding/welding weakens the material. The joint is not designed to be submersed 24/7 and will eventually come apart. Youve got a 50/50 chance. Material of choice is cell cast acrylic.

Don

I agree with what you all are saying and infact I found out from the people that built my sump that it was acrylic that they used (and not plexi which was put on my receipt). However, I wouldn't bet my life on acrylic, glass or plexi...None are fool proof and can all have the same problems. I've had a glass tank spring a leak, I've had my CPR overflow (2 months old) seperate at the back, and I had my proaquatics 150 wet/dry have a whole chamber cave in less than a week of operation and had to have it repaired and braced (and nobody is more careful with things like I am OCD bigtime!). I agree acrylic is better, but you can't knock plexi because some people use it and never have a problem. The LFS has a 3/8, 40 gal plexi sump built by the same company here that built mine and it is 2 years old and not a crack, leak or anything. I could run down to the store Monday and take a picture (if you want) just to prove that plexi can hold up. Acrylic, yes is better, but plexi can work for those who can't afford to use acrylic without having any problem if assembled properly.

Thanks for sharing that with me Don. I never knew that...I guess I never really tried to find out (LOL). In my profession, when I do any custom work for Audio systems etc, we usually just deal with stuff like MDF wood, polished aluminum, anything with fiberglass, resins and carbon fiber for moulds etc, starboard & abs plastic (for boats), and plexiglass for the occasional neon lit logos in amp racks (just to name a few). Nobody has ever specified "acrylic". Glad to know though. I am a lot wiser now compliments of you :D

So I guess I was wrong in a way, but kinda right for not knowing any better! (LOL) Thanks again Don. (shhhh I bet you wave 98 didn't know that :shock: ) Sorry "wave" I had to add that in for showing me off!!! I'm a good sport though :D

Ok now I have some good ideas (after the frag swap last night). I think I will be going with acrylic. Anyone local that can build it for a good price?? I can trade wine, cash, or??

Well, I'd make her for you there "pardner", if you was wantin everthang purfekt and such ya see, but I'se a bit to the sloe side U'huh, and eh, well but, so if-en ya coude jest . . whele, 'bout' dat whine dere . . git me, aye .. so check with Marc at Melevsreef again, he just might "steer" you into a good deal.

I really do admire your test and water changing station concept. It is a very good one. You don't need any luck! > wave98 :)

BobinCovington said:
Ok now I have some good ideas (after the frag swap last night). I think I will be going with acrylic. Anyone local that can build it for a good price?? I can trade wine, cash, or??

Bob,

If you want to try and convert a tank, Ive got a spare 29g acrylic tank.

Don

No, but you can have the flatback hex I posted the link to. Just joking, I think I could run it across the table saw for Bob's baffel's.

Don

I also have a spare tank laying around. it is a 40g, 36x15x18. The front is scratched to all hell by someone cleaning it w/ a brillo pad, so it would only be good for a sump. Someone please come get it! It is blue back w/ overflow

Just to clear it up Plexiglass is a brand of acrylic like don said.
The stuff you see at the home centers is either Lexan or extruded acrylic, neither is suitable for continuas use under water. What you need is cell cast acrylic which is usually 2 times as expensive as cast. All the major brands have it, including Plexiglass, it is called 'G'. For Acrylite it is called 'GP'. Then there is Chemcast which is very good american made I believe, not to be confused w/ Acracast which is ok, but I believe made in thaiwan, there are lots of brands out there and I don't know much about them. If you use extruded material to build a sump or tank it is a timebomb, I promise it will not last long before it either starts leaking, or fails dramatically.

Back