best way to dose automatically....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skeptic9962

with my new SPS tank i want it to run on its own pretty much aside from the water changes, carbon changes, maintainance of skimmer and feeding... and for dosing a 32 gallon loaded with SPS not sure what way would be best to go i would like to go with a small calcium reactor but price wise not sure if thats the best route.. also been debating on the kalk reactor or just doseing pumps...anyone have a good suggestion on this?

thanks for the input =)

I used to have this setup.

two part additive... alk and calcium
2 x 2.5 gallon jugs. one for each chemical.
2 x aqualifters one for each.
2 x timers so you dont drip at the same time.
2 x water drippers you can easily buy from local hardware stores.

when you drip... make sure you use only 0.5 gallon of water. This will make it good for 5 days since you are using 2.5 gallon jugs. Now the tricky part is... How much do you or will you put per day to make up your calcium or alk...

Lets say you need 1 tsp per day then 5 days equals 5 tsp... mix it to your 2.5 gallon jug... drip 0.5 gallons per day...

and your set....

Here was my setup before...

diy_drip_01.jpg

and

diy_drip_02.jpg

a = alk
c = calcium

also always test your water before putting anything in.

Last edited:
I think Cesars system works but I'm much more fond of full strength dosing. If your dosing around 40ml a day then you can get nearly month out of a single quart of each. It just depends on what your dosing set-up budget is and how much time you want to spend.

Don

Donw, can you explain further what you meant?

Basicly your diluting your two part. I can justify doing this because there is no way to accuratly dose with an aqualifter and dripper. On average a higher demand sps tank will us 1ml per gallon per day of randys two part. So with a 40g tank your going to dose 40ml per day. This cant be done accuratly with just an aqualifter and drippers.
You either have to step up to dosing pumps or timers for the aqualifters. Doing this will afford you about 90 days with just 1 gallon of each portion of the two part.

Don

Katchupoy:

Thanks for sharing... I've been dosing by and since the beginning, but your set up seems like a suitable solution until I can get my hands on a CA reactor. Thanks!

Don you are correct. i was dilluting my two part. Right now I am using seachem alk and calc.... I dont know if this makes a difference with Randy's.... But yes i was dilluting.

Question. Is there a diff or effect if i dillute it? I mean, if i need 2 tsp a day whether i put it in 1 gallon or 1 cup of water.... and slowly drip it... is it still 2 tsp per day bottomline?

I guess my question is, is there a diff?

Thank you for your time to answer Don.

C

Don you are correct. i was dilluting my two part. Right now I am using seachem alk and calc.... I dont know if this makes a difference with Randy's.... But yes i was dilluting.

Question. Is there a diff or effect if i dillute it? I mean, if i need 2 tsp a day whether i put it in 1 gallon or 1 cup of water.... and slowly drip it... is it still 2 tsp per day bottomline?

I guess my question is, is there a diff?

Thank you for your time to answer Don.

C

Not really, just the time and effort that you put into it is the only real difference. Accuracy will become a issue when the demand is high but if it works and you want to do the work keep doing it.
Its really about how much time you want to spend playing with dosing.

Don

ive been thinking about it a bit and i think im just going to keep dosing everyday for awhile and just save up for a calcium reactor in the long run it seems like that would probably be cheaper over all and if i decide to ever upgrade to a bigger tank then ill allready have one =P any ideas on a good calc. reactor for that small of a tank? i was thinking a korallin C1502 or a Geo 618

ive been thinking about it a bit and i think im just going to keep dosing everyday for awhile and just save up for a calcium reactor in the long run it seems like that would probably be cheaper over all and if i decide to ever upgrade to a bigger tank then ill allready have one =P any ideas on a good calc. reactor for that small of a tank? i was thinking a korallin C1502 or a Geo 618

The schuran pico is perfect for that tank and will do fine for up to 120g later.

Don

Back