Big Black Bristle worm... A murderer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yet another ID question.... I have recently lost 2 Pederson's anemone shrimp within 3 days. Since there are no other signs of trouble, I started looking for "hiders". I discovered a worm that has built a small lair in a cave under some rubble ( too deep and dark for a good pic). The first thing I noticed were four or five black and white striped tentacles poking out of the hole. They actually looked a lot like zebra hermit crab legs except smooth...roughly the same size. Today I saw the rest of the beast: a roughly 1/4 inch diameter, flattened tube, at least 4 inches long (although probably much longer) jet black segments with tufts of short black bristles coming out of either side each one. I know bristle worms can be beneficial, but have never seen a version with such substantial tentacles on its head. Anyone have a clue if this is a good guy or a bad guy?Meanwhile I will keep trying for pics!

Well, hopefully Leslie will chime in on this one for us. My interest is peaked as to the identity of this Thing.

Cheers, Todd

Now Have a Pic

Well, after a tip on another forum, I got the idea that it might be a eucenid worm, and that these guys can occasionally munch zoas and corals, so after some searching online I decided to use the tried and true method of flushing him out of his hole with soda water. (Luckily I already knew what rock he was in, and it was a small removable one). I got him! Along with 4 other worms...one that was about 4 inches long and black, without tentacles, that looked like another eucenid, and a couple tan worms that were possibly bristles of other types? Anyhow, I have noticed a few retracted/damaged zoas and sympodium polyps. I have been assuming it was one of my hermits (one of my zebras is getting a bit big), but now I wonder if it was one of these guys? Also don't know if it ate my shrimps or someone else did? Please, if anyone knows more about this I would love to learn!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Back