Big Black Crab

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wayupnorth

Yikes - I just saw this guy in my tank. He is black and about 1 inch plus across on his body - front legs are smooth and shiney and other legs are hairy. I don't know if he's bad or not but I want him out. This is the first time I have seen him so I am not going to be able to just grab him - besides my tank is too big and too much rock. What is the best way to trap a crab without catching any fish? I doubt very much that I will be able to get a picture before I catch him to help with ID but will take one if I am successful with trapping. Please help

Two liter soda bottle trap, cut off the cone and turn inside the bottle. silocone a krill inside the bottom and set it back in the dark.

You can do the soda bottle trap, or you can use panty hose propped open, with the bait at the end/toe. They get stuck on the hosiery. Good Luck! Post pics when you catch him!

Nikki how would you prop it open? Could I use a peice of PVC? Won't the fish tear the hose apart trying to get to the bait? Sorry for all the questions - just trying to picture in my mind how it would look.

Ruth

When I first read about it, the person used plastic toothpicks, but I think just about anything would do, as long as the crab could either get in, or walk on the hosiery. I would wait until the lights are out before trying it - that way the fish are less likely to bother it. I personally haven't tried the panty hose trick, but it is one that stuck in my mind from my newbie forum reading days. When I was trying to catch a rogue crab, I tried to lean a glass against the rock with bait at the bottom....of course the crab wouldn't go in, and we ended up pulling out the rock.

Thanks Nikki. Well I am going to try it tonight and see how I make out. I might even get really tricky and try both the hose and the pop bottle thing. The thought of pulling out 400 plus pounds of rock makes me tired and I'm not even sure I could do it with the coral attached to it and the stress on the livestock. I HATE CRABS!

Hi Ruth! Do they look something like the pics below?I had taken out about 30 in my 55gal tank when a made a transfer and there must still be less done 10 remaining.They eat up coralline algae in the LR and knock off rocks everytime.I haven't identified them yet.Better safe than sorry.

How's you tank set up?I remember when Mike was doing the design of your tank in the Plumbing Worshop.Did everything workout fine?Is your OM doing ok? I don't remember if u use MBV but I like the way the plumbing was laid out.Post some pics for update please.

Rdgs,
Joey

Hey Skipper! Yes it does sort of look that that one but it seems that the legs might be hairier. It was pretty big though. This crab is in my existing 230g tank. I am still waiting to get my 190g that Mike did the plan for drilled and the plumbing done. I have all the plumbing parts that Mike gave me a list for and have found a suck.....er .....guy to do the drilling and plumbing for me. I have not gone with a MBV but will let you know how it goes with the Ocean Motions. My new protein skimmer (Bubble King) and Calcium Reactor (Grotech) are on there way and should be here next week if the shipping company can get it right. I will probably start a thread on set up as the tank is being drilled and carry on.

Oooh!Bubble King!This is a good looking skimmer!I can't wait for that thread!Looks like your starting up a collection of reef tanks out there.More power to you!See you around!

Joey

Back