Big problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

robert0762

My PH has dropped a lot over the last 2 days . It is ussually at 8.4 to 8.3 woke up yesterday and ph was 8.15 today 7.99 . I just did my testing yesterday. dKH 10 nitrates less then 5 ppm cal 400 mag 1250. Performed a 15% wc this weekend. What is the first thing i should look into to resolve this issue?????????:confused:

I'd start by getting a second opinion to make sure your pH test kit is accurate. With Alk and Ca at those levels, I find it hard to see your ph dropping like that. Then again, I'm definitely not the chemist of RF. Hopefully Don and Boomer will chime in. Do you have a lid on your tank? If so, take it off. Do you have anything that could be contributing Carbon dioxide into your system?

I wouldnt worry about it. 7.9 isnt going to hurt anything. You can try dripping kalk or opening up a window but not needed.

Don

What are the causes of PH drop is my question ..?

I know one is using a Phosphate remover media is one cause...

Are there others?

What are the causes of PH drop is my question ..?

I know one is using a Phosphate remover media is one cause...

Are there others?

Phosphate removers "gfo" is just a short term drop if you use way more than needed. Co2 is the leading cause of low ph.

Don

One more silly Q, was there a different time of day for the test? You probably already know, PH drops over night in almost all reef tanks.

Phosphate removers "gfo" is just a short term drop if you use way more than needed. Co2 is the leading cause of low ph.

Don

Ok so co2 reduction is the main thing to keep this from happening...and this can be done by lets say a big skimmer producing lots of bubbles...and in addition having a Refugeium to eat co2 ..produce O2 also

havent turned heat on yet but the windows have been closed for a couple of days cause i put the ac back on. Just opened them back up when i came home from work so we shall see if that was the culprit.
One more thing those ph values were at aprox 8 am but it is 620 pm now and ph is at 8.18 instead of my usual 8.35 to 8.40. I just think this is a big shift out of nowhere n it kind of worried me

High PH as a "necessity" is highly overrated. 8.18 isn't any problem. Most of the time that my 180 sps tank was running, was lower than that. Had too many well fed large fish in it.
My corals were bright, fast growing, and hardy...

Thanks for all the input guys I found out that all i needed to do was open a window woke up this morning and ph was 8.26. Live and learn huh?

I'd venture a guess that you live in a newer home that's very air tight. It's funny that newer building codes require homes to be built so air tight...AND THEN...require fresh air vents to be placed in walls that will automatically pop open when they sense a large difference in atmospheric pressure. In my mind, being in the construction industry, the whole theory is kind of self defeating. Until I got into SW tanks, I had no idea what effect it could have on pH in water. Higher Co2 levels drastically impact pH. The thing the "building gods" may not realize is that it effects us humans as well.

not to ask a dumb question but phosphate sponge isnt good to run??? wut should you run instead like a necessity like carbon or for media wise?????

not to ask a dumb question but phosphate sponge isnt good to run??? wut should you run instead like a necessity like carbon or for media wise?????

I don't know about the sponge thing...

I use phosban and put it in a fine mesh sock that it comes with...then I wrap it up in a foam filter pad like and eggroll and stuff it in my canister filter tray.

The only thing I heard of is that your PH will go down for the first 2 weeks of introducing it...so keep a close eye on PH and buffer till stable.

Thats all I know....I have zero complaints on phosphate absorbing use ...

Back