Having trouble keeping alk up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Todd are you from the future it says that post went through on the 20th of feb, and it is only the nineteenth 1151 to be exact, this is like some x files stuff going on.

It is not correct, but it is okay. Do not dose anything ---- add 1-tablespoon of baking soda per 50-gallons and then let it fall where it may. Borate really screws things up and we just want a safe buffer like baking soda. Don't waste your good water --- just monitor and make your adjustments when all returns to normal. The Ca and MG will buffer with the Baking Soda and all will fall to a stable point if there is life in your tank producing waste.

OFM

Hey Justin,
This is a great article from Randy about making adjustments, it lays it out very nice.
http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

thanks todd i have read that before. im just curious as to why the sudden change in chemicals? what caused them to do that? those are my big questions. i have been dosing alk to keep everything stable for the last month or so. i dont want to have to keep doing this

Justin did you ever test the oceanic salt mix to see what it was when you first make it up?

Mojo

read about simular problem, could not keep alk up. keep dosing and dosing but never stay up. Mag was high Ca was low added Ca which stable Alk and brought down Mag. from what we read and understand you need to get your mag up, all three need to be inline mag 3 times the cal so Ca can be broken down and used.

Back