Big Tank Move Number two

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

I am moving my 72 gallon tank once again to the eastside of the state where I currently work. I have already done the move once and everything seemed to go okay. I only lost two cleaner shrimp.

I have a few concerns that I need to work out before the big move.

#1. I have some cave dwelling fish like a midas blenny, small blue cleaner goby, watchman goby and pistol shrimp. My question is how to I stop these guys from going into a hole in the rock when I start the process and not be able to get them out. I also have a leopard wrasse who darts into the stand whenever scared.

#2. Why did my shrimp die? They were bagged just like the rest of the fish. I am thinking they either didnt like the temp change or not enough oxygen? Would it be best to just sell the two I have and buy more when I get set-up again.

I will have more questions that I will continue to post as I think of them.

Thanks in advance.

How long do you figure it will take to tear down, move and re-setup in the new place? Let us know. As for the cave dwelling fish, I'd probably leave them for last when taking everything out of the tank by leaving behind just that cave they hang around most so they have no where else to dart off to. Then, if they decide to hide in a hole in the rock, if you have a net big enough to scoop the whole rock up in it, then I'd use that and scoop up the whole rock, blenny, goby and all and place that in a bucket of water all by itself. That way, you won't have to stress out the fish too much by trying to chase/poke them out of the hole in the rock to catch them (which could damage them as well) and then when it is time for them to be re-introduced back into the tank, it would be so much easier for you.

As for the sand dweller (wrasse), you could probably get a hose with no attachment on the ends and suck the sand out of the tank into whatever container you plan to keep it in away from the wrasse until eventually, you'll have only one small section of sand for the wrasse to hide it which would make it easier for you to catch him.

Just a few personal thoughts/ideas. Good luck with the move! :)

Last edited:
It will take a full day to move. I am at the new location now, so I will have about half the saltwater ready. I will break down the tank and drive six hours and set up the new tank in the mean time. I will put the fish into a holding tank while the new set-up gets going for a few days.

I didnt think about grabbing the rock they stay in. The only problem I see with that is the Midas has many hiding spots and the cleaner goby is so small I will have no idea which hole he darts into.

Bummer...Well, you can only do what you can. Just take it slow and hopefully you get them out of the tank safely. :)

Great advice Krish!

As for the sand dwelling fish, He will do fine in a bag and shipped.

Being your moving 6 hours away I would consider using oxygen to fill the bag with air instead of just blowing in it or doing the quick grab method. Pure oxygen will last much longer. You should be able to get a small tank of it at a local welding shop.

I didnt think about grabbing the rock they stay in. The only problem I see with that is the Midas has many hiding spots and the cleaner goby is so small I will have no idea which hole he darts into.

Once you get all the fish out and water you can listen to the rock. You will here the fish wiggling around in the hole it darted into once the water is drained out. So drain the water out and save the rock move for last. Inspect all the rocks for a fast flipping sound.

You know, I always wondered about the blowing in the bag method. I would think that would give the fish less time because we breathe out carbon dioxide rather than oxygen we inhale so we are giving the fish something they can't use LOL! I've always used the grab bag method for short trips (no more than an hour) or using an airline tubing from an air pump to inflate the bag. Never tried the pure oxygen method which is what I figure most shippers probably use. :)

I once moved everything from a southern state to Washington. Put all the live stock in trash bags in styrofoam shipping containers in the trunk. Had a 12 volt air pump driving airstones in the containers. Did not lose any fish. Did not have corals then.

Back