Bio Ball Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

There have been all kinds of debate on UV sterilizers. My opinion is that there are lots of things that come first, such as a refractometer, light bulbs, or how about money towards a skimmer upgrade, controller, or chiller. I won't knock the use of UV (since I have one myself) but I just think that the best use of your money might be elsewhere.

I'm curious, how much live rock do you have? If you have a well cycled tank with plenty of live rock you won't have to worry about nitrate.

Tim

Jan...You'll be fine IMO.:) The amount of bio-balls in that skimmer is nothing to talk about at all and if you were to experience any "possible" nitrates resulting from them, your system (live rock) should be able to eat them up in no time. In that skimmer, water won't be trickled over those bio-balls allowing detritus/ waste etc to settle in them, but water will be forced down on them at a really high pressure so it will be almost like pressure cleaning those balls as the the skimmer is in operation. Just my 2 cents...Nothing to worry about at all IMO:)

Back