BioPellets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FreakinReefin

Insert idiot comment
Just curious; I am using Biopellets to kick some GHA booty and it is working; however I am noticing some bleaching on some soft tissue...LPS mostly. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to stop the use of the biopellets after the GHA is gone. Is this stuff meant to be run at all times? Is there really a true benefit to running it 24/7?

Hi I have the Vertex pellets, and I noticed the same thing even my monti cap dulled up a little. I was told from the guys a Barrier that my tank is now runing nutrient poor and to supplement with some amino acids, i've been using the corel fuel product, and a little drop or two of iodine. Thats all helped bring the color back, hope that helps. I also looked at pics of Zeofit systems I think thats what they are called, and my corals have the same color look to them. I also dose coral color from Brightwell.

do you have the out put of the reactor by the skimmer as I believe all vendors recommend it to be done this way.

Yes I have the output going right into the DT>Sump return area which is also where my skimmer output is.
What type of bio pellets? Are they in a media bag in your sump or in a reactor?

They are Vertex pellets and they are in a TLF 150 reactor with a maxi-jet 1200 with the reactor modified for this use.

Hi I have the Vertex pellets, and I noticed the same thing even my monti cap dulled up a little. I was told from the guys a Barrier that my tank is now runing nutrient poor and to supplement with some amino acids, i've been using the corel fuel product, and a little drop or two of iodine. Thats all helped bring the color back, hope that helps. I also looked at pics of Zeofit systems I think thats what they are called, and my corals have the same color look to them. I also dose coral color from Brightwell.

I just picked up some Fuel yesterday since I assumed this was the issue as well. I am glad to hear that the colors are coming back in you coral. That makes me feel a whole lot better. Are you running the pellets for any particular reason? I am specifically running them to clear algae and am not sure if I should keep running them after it is all gone...wisdom?

Also, has anyone else had any issues with running filter socks on the DT return while running these pellets? I trypically always run my output into a sock; however, while running these pellets, the sock clogs in a single day! Hopefully this is not a bad thing...

I use the pellets to enhance the bio filter. I don't have a refugium so I thought this would take place of one, some what. I've had good results with them and no longer need to run a phos remover. I just put in 2 more acros for a total of 3 now in a lps tank, we'll see how they do. I plan to continue using these pellets. I also saw on reffcentral's "the tank of the month" was a awesome sps tank with a skimmer and bio pellets thats it. She had 12 T5's I think, and the tank was just perfect. I hope to some day do that.

Back