Birds nest bleaching and GSP closed?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kalk paste may be the answer. It could have spiked the ALK/KH up to high along with PH. Have to be careful when doing this as the sudden increase of KH and resulting raise in PH can cause bad things to happen. How much did you use or better yet how many majono's did you zap?

Only zapped 12-18 and about 12 in one central area and yes there mojano not aptasia peppermint shrimp eats those in one night wish they'd eat mojano's.
Oh yea where I zapped these buggers was not even near the corals affected. Almost home so I will see the status. I did frag small pieces of the birds nest last night so see how there doing now.
I am going over the mountains tomorrow morning maybe take detour on the way home and get some coral x. Maybe replace the birds nest depending how things look.
Thanks for your guys help and suggestions.

Well things might be coming around, a few gsp are starting to open up and the little pieces of birds nest frags don't show any signs of bleaching. Do a few more water changes just to be safe can't hurt.

I'll be down by the stadiums tomorrow what store would be a spot to check out?

I'm suspecting the kalk paste raised the alk and PH quickly causing things to stress out. Unless you have a PH probe and test alk frequently you may never have known. Keep in mind people use Kalk to keep their alk levels in check and Kalk will also raise the PH quickly if a lot is used.

The reason some and not others is where affected is unknown. Everything in our tanks can and does react differently to certain conditions. And it doesn't really matter if it was close to a coral or not. It's all surrounded by the same water.. :)

Go by them all oceans by design, barrier reef. And if your north of Seattle hit up red c

I wish it was that easy but I'll be dragging a 20' flatbed trailer around so I'll keep it to one stop so out of those which one would you recommend?

Majanos as in aptasias? Why did you use kalk paste. Sorry to kinda vear the subject. I just wondered why kalk for aptasia. :)

Kalk paste = Joes juice, Aptasia X and pretty much any other store bought killer.

I have to agree with James on this one. 12-18 zaps with Kalk paste is about the most I used to ever do on my 210 with 500 gallons of volume.

Oceans by design would probably be your best bet. Their in tukwilla you can get to it fairly easy from i5. It's at the end of 405.
Barrier is exit 7 on 405. Behind the McDonalds just off the freeway.
Like I said red c is a little out of the way compared to those two.
Hit up OBD. You won't be disappointed.
Let us know, with pics. :) what you find.

Does aptasia x have any side effects?
I've used two bottles and haven't completely killed everything off. :(
Now I'm scared to try kalk paste. Specially with my new sps

Yea I always used aptasia x but ran out and figured I try kalk since that what's most do but think I'll stick with the safer aptasia x especially since some survived the kalk wish they would attach themselves to easier places than under rocks and on a edge where I can't get to them easily especially with no front access to my tank

Oceans by design would probably be your best bet. Their in tukwilla you can get to it fairly easy from i5. It's at the end of 405.

Ok thanks I'll check them out tomorrow then

It's all pretty much Kalk paste of sorts. It's perfectly fine as long as you take the precautions to not over do it. If you have a PH monitor/probe keep an eye on things as you're doing it all the better. One thing I do, with Kalk paste at least, is let it sit there for about an 1/2hr to 1hr and then remove the clump Kalk paste. Mix the Kalk to be about a toothpaste consistency.

Depending on tank size limit your killings..

Yea lesson learned that must be what caused my problems. Just surprised out of all the corals those are the ones affected.
Hopefully the birds nest grows back now there's a big empty spot where it was:(

Well made it back safely from the Wet side and your right not disappointed at all they had alot to choose from great store and very nice people went ahead and rolled the dice and picked up a file fish hopefully he'll wipe out my mojano's and leave eveything else alone its worth the gamble if he can make these things extinct. Oh of course a few corals as well he had a couple small frags of different varieties of birds nest from his DT so picked them up I'll put them in the same spot where the pink birds was that is only a few frags now and maybe I will get all three to intertwine with one another. then couple more things but forgot the names. there acclimating now, only problem is running out of spots to put everthing any one live in Wen. area that wants a couple of green hairy mushrooms a purple and green paly/zoa mixed rock about the size of a fist totally covered no $ just take :)
Oh yeah and almost all of the gsp are out now and the birds nest frags seem to be doing great
I did end up stopping by Reef Barrier also trying to find a table acro but they only had large frags and OBD took most of my money (which I was happy to spend) so took home a metor frag and a blue ziggy starburst

Sounds like a awesome day. May I ask how they do transporting them that far? Anytime me and my wife go a hour or hour and a half away I give her a time limit to be back cause I don't want them to die. :)
I need a file fish too to wipe my aptasia out completely. Except the ones I see are under everything barely poking out.

Any secrets?
Cannot wait to see your new stuff!!!

Sounds like a awesome day. May I ask how they do transporting them that far? Anytime me and my wife go a hour or hour and a half away I give her a time limit to be back cause I don't want them to die. :)
I need a file fish too to wipe my aptasia out completely. Except the ones I see are under everything barely poking out.

Any secrets?
Cannot wait to see your new stuff!!!

I normally if I am planning on getting a new fish I will bring a air pump with me but since this wasn't planned I was a little worried especially when I got home and it looked half dead but first thing I did is float the bag grab a air stone put it in the bag and he perked right up and is almost to happy floating arond and then I always bring a styro cooler and hand warmers to keep everthing warm for transport and never had problems yet (knock on wood).

Well at OBD they said that the file fish will get into crevisis that you wouldn't believe. Had you tried peppermint shrimp for the aptasia I have had great luck with mine wipping them out. Its funny becuase some fish stores will detour me from buying some pieces because it has aptasia on it and they don't last the night I even witness them eating them at night.

I tried two peppermints in my original 29 that some how got aptasia and my clown fish of all things killed them.
I never looked back lol.
I've been thru a bottle and a half of aptasia X and have pretty much killed them all expect a few
Luckily the other rock I cleaned and cured haven't been infested yet. :)
I didn't want to buy a 49$ fish to only have him for a month or so.
Except I read a thing the other day of a guy putting his filefish in the sump until its needed then out him in the display.
:) good idea I thought.
I also had a guy who bought a copperband for his aptasia. I told him of I could rent his fish for a while to give me a call haha. He hasn't called yet.

:D

What kind of filefish did you pickup? Pics coming soon I hope. Liquid Calcium injections work well on aptasia, I've never had an infestation but have had a few and have had great sucess using this method. I also have a few peppermint shrimps too. My biggest problem is vermatid snails :evil:

its a matted file fish and yes I will take and post pics tomorrow when everything settles.

Back