Birdsnest issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sandswhitson

Hello all,

I am having some issues with a couple of different birdsnests. Two of the four that we have in our tank are losing tissue from the bottom up. The pink one has been losing tissue for quite a while now and we have tried moving it and it didn't change anything. The "Birds of Paradise" has receded about a 1/2" and has seemed to stop but not positive on that. ALL other SPS are doing fine. Any suggestions?

Here are a couple of pics.
IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

I think I'd be fragging some tips off that first one and trying to save those. That coral looks to be in pretty bad shape. Can't see the BOP as clearly but seems to be doing the same thing.

Do you have any pests in the tank that you know of? Flatworms apparently don't like to much on these corals as much as they do other acro's but made something else is at work here. What are your water parameters (Ca, Alk, NO3)? What type of lighting, how far from the lights are these, and when did you last change your lamps? Any other corals suffering in your tank? Give us some more info on your tank and water parameters.

Mike

Hello,
I would cut the coral in a couple of areas just above receded part to be safe. Mount these frags in a high flow area regardless of light intensity. Seriatopora really like high flow and without it the insides of colonies can die and the fouling of the tissue can poison the entire colony. Be sure to check that the main coral is receiving high alternating flow in the center area where the branching is close/tight.

Regards,
Kevin

I've had that happen to me in the recent past with birdsnest, and with pocillopora. Never found out what did it but I cut all the tips, and they all survived and started growing.

I have a ponape birds nest that started looking like this (although not as severe) about 2 weeks ago and gradually spread. With the last water change I spotted what looked like some kind of nudibranch on one of the arms. However, it didn't look like the pictures on the internet of the monti eating nudis. The one I had was log and skinny and reddish, not white and multi-branched. Not sure if that was the issue or not, and I haven't spotted anything that look like eggs. Anyhow, with the nudi gone, it seems that the tissue recession has stopped, and to my surprise, tissue and color are returning to the affected areas. Anyhow, point being: did you find any suspicious pests on the colonies?

Back