Birdsnest

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyDog2

Clam Eater
My birdsnest coral has been having issues as my 175 MH lights have been getting dimmer. They were 13 months old as I have been waiting for the conversion to 400W, which has now happened. Now that my lights are bright enough to see what is happening, I am seeing dark spots at the base of the tissue recession. (and yes I have the new lights up high and screens down). My question is "Are birdsnet acropora, am I seeing acropora flat worms or red bug or was this just a matter of poor lighting." Now that the coral is getting light it does seem to be happy...but maybe I need to dip for a bug...or just give it time to grow back. Picture shows one of the dark spots...there are several.

Thanks for you insights into this problem.

Hello,
the commonly named Birdnest coral is Seriatopora hystrix and it is unlikely that you have a pest causing the tissue loss. From the picture It appears that algae is growing on the coral indicating a high nutrient environment. Seriatopora does best in low nutrient, high flow, high light conditions.

HTH,
Kevin

My birdsnest coral has been having issues as my 175 MH lights have been getting dimmer. They were 13 months old as I have been waiting for the conversion to 400W, which has now happened. Now that my lights are bright enough to see what is happening, I am seeing dark spots at the base of the tissue recession. (and yes I have the new lights up high and screens down). My question is "Are birdsnet acropora, am I seeing acropora flat worms or red bug or was this just a matter of poor lighting." Now that the coral is getting light it does seem to be happy...but maybe I need to dip for a bug...or just give it time to grow back. Picture shows one of the dark spots...there are several.

Thanks for you insights into this problem.

I'd frag it and hope that saves it. However, depending on it's condition, that could cause some stress which may hurt it worse. Hope it all turns out okay!

Gently get as much of the algae off as you can. Get it in a high flow area, receiving good light. Get your water conditions cleaned up, to avoid the algae issue. After all algae is cleaned off, watch it for a few days. If you notice polyp extension, it's still alive. If you notice an area of NO polyp extension, I'd frag it above that area.

Could it also be possible that with the excessive nutrient's, lower flow, and the upgrade from a dimming 250w light to a brand new 400 watt light, that the coral can be shocked from the drastic change in lighting. I was always informed that when changing lights it is better to gradually increase the photo period to allow the corals to acclimate to the lighting. I know the algea has a huge play in the possible tissue loss.

Clean out your tank and do many water change. Frag the coral and make sure the water parameter cal/alk/mag/ph are on or a little above recommended parameter.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Checked my params and they are as follows:
Alk 9.6
Calc 380
ph 8.2
phos .5
nitrate 5
Salt 1.024
temp 78-81
Mag 1230

Calc was low so I dosed extra and also Mag. Scrubbed birdsnest with a clean toothbrush. Pointed my powerheads more directly at it and will do an extra water change tonight. I do 20% 1st of every month. My skimmer is a little undersized (thats a money thing) so I dose 1/2 ML of vodka into the skimmer and that really increases the skimate. The birdsnest is still responding well to the new 400W. I don't see any new recession but everywhere that there is recession it gets covered in algae! Thanks again!

You should not put DOC into the tank like vodka. If over dose the you will get algae and the bacteria that live in balance with the coral will kill the coral.
There is a study on the between DOC and bacteria that live in the tank with coral.

Since you already see algae in your tank that mean you already have access DOC and your test also show it.

What you should do is to clean your substrate/rock and with large water change.

I hope that I have saved my Birdsnet by fragging a small piece and placing it in a spot with better flow. Thanks for the advice.

Back