black flexible pvc pipe?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
Anybody ever use black flexible pvc pipe on their reef plumbing?
The stuff I'm looking at is made by Orbit. Says Wavemaster and Dripmaster on the label.
Called the manufactures rep and they say it is the same as regular pvc.
Anybody know any different?

Ahh...I thought it was the same thing. Well, I used white flex PVC and it works great. You can get the same stuff and just paint it:p

Yeah man...Thanks! The baby only got up 3 times for 30 mins each time last night;) I'm hoping this is a trend that will continue so I can be on here like usual again:)

Here are some pictures of the stuff that I found at Home Depot.

Definately different. I've never seen that stuff before, but if it is for outdoor use then it must be really durable.

I was going to run spaflex to a couple of sea swirls, but their was no 3/4" spaflex at homedepot or lowes today.
I could order some from savko.com, but I've already made 3 separate orders from them in the last month and a half and I'm getting tired of paying for shipping charges.

LOL...I wonder if you can buy the flex spa in black from a pool company. I know they sell the flex pvc in white, but not sure about the black...

Hey Finn,
I think I know what you are lookin for. Sorry I have no digi cam right now. It is 3/4" id flexable tubeing. It is corrugated pvc I believe. It is more flexable than spa flex........Dosn't hold the curve of the roll. It is used with a hose barb fitting and clamps . Used it to plumb my chiller and worked great. I got mine from Kevin at Aquatic dreams but have since seen it at a pond supply store in the north end. Check your local ones and I'm sure you can find it.
HTH's, Scott :)

The stuff I found at Home Depot said right on it, for irrigation.
Also, I put some inside a large stew pot ( in a tight circle) and put it in the oven for about 5 minutes at 250 degrees and then threw it in cold water for a couple and then laid it out in the sun and it stayed in the tight circle.

thats irrigation pipe, you need insert barbed fittings with an outside clamp. you cant glue it to pvc fittings. you can easily adapt from barbed fittings to pvc slip or thread fittings though.

Im an irrigation guy and thought about using it but im not sure about keeping the metal clamp in your water, but if it was for external use it would be great. HD or LOWES would also sell the various fittings you might need like T's, 90's, male and female adapters.

also check your local plumbing supply house

If its for irrigation make sure it is for potable water. I found out the hard way that the non-potable leeches things back in the tank.
Matt

Back