Black Ick?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

I have two onyx clowns, one colored up and the other one has not. Are these black spots from the onyx developing the black between bars or is this black ick?
DSC_0240.jpg

Thanks for the photo. This is not what I would call Black Ich.

It appears more to be Hyper-Melaninization. One does not usually see it so uniformly distributed and in uniform size.

The fish is likely being affected by something in the tank it has come in contact with. A sort of allergic reaction. Unsightly, but not deeply injurious to the fish. Is it hosting or trying to host with any marine life in the tank? What invertebrates and decorations and rock is in the display with this fish?

So my clowns have the same exact spots. They are hosting my xiena when the light go out. Is that what does it? I kind of like the spots, because I have vitilgo, and I feel me and the clowns have something in common! But just to confirm: they are nothing to worry about?

So many treat this condition like it is 'okay.' It isn't okay. The fish is being stung, over and over again. Does that sound okay? :D

Not trying to come down on you directly, but so many hobbyists see the fish is still swimming and still eating, so they come to the conclusion all is fine. Most of my efforts here and on other sites is trying to get people to understand that what they see and what human emotions they put onto a fish is usually untrue.

In this case, I would liken the situation to putting a human into a room of bees. Assuming the human is not allergic to bee stings, then is it okay for the human to keep getting stung over and over? I mean, the human is moving around and eating. . .

Move the fish away from the stinging marine life form or move the life form away from the fish if the fish doesn't lose the spots and return to normal within 2 weeks. :)

my clowns had exactly that when they first started being hosted by xenia, it went away pretty quick and they continued living happily ever after :)

Back