Black sand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmn_usn

bblhd reefer
I am fortunate enough to be putting a 90 gal in wall with my 55 as a sump. The wife wants to paint the back of the tank blue and have black sand.

What I am looking for is any pictures of tanks (in wall or not) with black sand. I am undecided on this and need visuals. Thanks.

Nate

Not a very good picture but it's the only picture I could find of our 15 gallon tank with black sand. I think black looks alright and the GF liked it enough that we are doing black sand in our 50 as well. The biggest drawback for me with the black sand is that over time little white chips of rock from the live rock start litter the sand and stand out.

fts.jpg

IMO it's all about the black sand. It's so easy for me to find dendritis and blow it away. The benefits of regular white sand is that it reflects light well and gives the natural look.
Copyofnewtank3.jpg

Not bad looking. How often do you clean the sand to keep the white down?

All the little chips are too small to pick out and too heavy to vacuum out. We just stir up the or rake the surface of the sand occasionally.

Anyone try the Seachem Gray Coast stuff?
Thats what we had first and I really liked it but it wasn't black enough for Mercedes taste so we switched to Tahitian Moon.

I think the Gray Coast would help keep the little white rock chips from standing out so much and keep a cleaner look for longer compared to the black.

Last edited:
ALSO I think its petsmart, if you type in the word "FLAT" you get $8 shipping no matter how much your order weighs..
I got 120lbs of sand shipped for 8 dollars.

All the little chips are too small to pick out and too heavy to vacuum out. We just stir up the or rake the surface of the sand occasionally.

Thats what we had first and I really liked it but it wasn't black enough for Mercedes taste so we switched to Tahitian Moon.

I think the Gray Coast would help keep the little white rock chips from standing out so much and keep a cleaner look for longer compared to the black.

What did you do with the Gray Coast you pulled out? Still have it? Want to get rid of it :)

Tanks all look good. Have any of you had problems with lighting (non reflective black sand vs white) I used the white black mixed in my 10 gal but "wife doesn't want that"

after seeing the pictures the wife is undecided... she said that she thought it would stand out more with the black. and now it is up to me.. hmm what will I do?

It all comes down to preference. do you want the natural look or something different? White sand will definately make your tank brighter. IMO, you should come joint the darkside BOOOHAHAHAHAHA!

Back