Bleached Anenome Care

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

warforged

MMORPG Addict!
I had caused my Rose Bubble problems. I was battling red slime last month and finally won.

Durring that process I made the mistake of stressing Rosey. Now she is bleached.

The only good thing is she still comes out and blooms and basks in the light.

I am curious on proper TLC care needed ..Feeding times..variety...

Being a in this state I am using Krill in a cup of the water letting it become mush and injecting it into her mouth once every 4 days... Is this enough or should I do more feeding and different food?

I fear silverbacks are just too bulky for a sick anemone so I am trying the soup injection for her.

Lighting and chemistry are in check now..... she hasn't moved or even is hiding behind rocks like she was while i had a big battle with red slime.

If its eating and coming out your doing ok. Just make sure your water stays of very good quality and consistent. And just keep at it. You do that and hopefully it'll pull through just fine.

Yep, it sounds like you're on the road to recovery already. Another thing that may help is a more diverse diet. I also feed my RBTA fresh prawns from the grocery store. I spend about 38 cents every other month for about 6-8 decent sized prawns. I cut them into smaller pieces (about the size of a standard gel-pack cube of frozen fish food), and give the anemone one per week, sometimes two. I also like to soak the prawn in Bord's Vita-Chem and/or Selcon.

EDIT: A bit off topic, but can I ask what stressed the anemone about the cyano removal? I've been looking into dosing Chemi-Clean, but can't make myself do it yet. If it's going to stress the anemone, it's out.

Yep, it sounds like you're on the road to recovery already. Another thing that may help is a more diverse diet. I also feed my RBTA fresh prawns from the grocery store. I spend about 38 cents every other month for about 6-8 decent sized prawns. I cut them into smaller pieces (about the size of a standard gel-pack cube of frozen fish food), and give the anemone one per week, sometimes two. I also like to soak the prawn in Bord's Vita-Chem and/or Selcon.

EDIT: A bit off topic, but can I ask what stressed the anemone about the cyano removal? I've been looking into dosing Chemi-Clean, but can't make myself do it yet. If it's going to stress the anemone, it's out.

Chemiclean is a fine way to remove small outbreaks. You don't have to take my word on it. But I swear that it is safe for your tank.

I had a chain of events leading to the bleaching.

Problem 1: Hair algae...blankets of it on sand. (due to me being a dumbass). I used Algaefix and it stunted its spread. The algae died out on rocks...and added Doc to my water.

Cyano started to appear on the hair aglae. used Chemiclean which has worked in the past on other tanks.
It didn't work at all. Not even a little bit.

Problem 2: Cyano went from small patches to covering my sand bed and rocks now. Just about in one day.
Investigation showed I had not noticed a refuge crashing due to lights death. Cheeto decay adding lots and lots of DOC.

I read a lot on Cyano. I learned of using Poly-ox to remove Doc's faster. Also irritating stuff to inverts. I started using it. Slight impact a week later.. Cyano wasn't spreading like before but would not go away.

Stupidity action #1: I got flustered. I decided the hell with it all I am going try anti-bacterial stuff. Mylaflix or some name like that some plant based extract to treat fish infections. Well I tried it. This stressed Rosey big time...with Poly-ox already pissing her off...the combination was almost a killing blow.

Cyano break out was halted and I learned a hard lesson. I stopped my Cyano come backs in 24 hours by doing one thing. I can't explain why it worked. I had a deep sand bed and deep refuge sand bed.

I removed 50% of the refuge sand...and main tank I removed 20% of the top layer...that top layer came off in blankets like it had some kind of transparent glue holding it in sheets... Once I did that..over night I had Zero red slime in my tank visible.

The poly-ox was fine just in limmited strict use recommended. Never use it with any other irritant like I did.

High Doc count due to factors caused my negligence and stupidity + deep sand bed was my Cyano issue.

The stress of Rosey was due to my stupidity in using that mylaflix thing in combination with Poly ox...

I should have just sucked out the sand , used poly sparingly for only a week, and at water change use chemiclean and do another change 48 hours after. This would have avoided my problems.

If anyone knows why a deep sand bed was my culprit I would like to know why.

Last edited:
Back