Bleaching rocks..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
I bleached some rocks last night (over night in alot of bleach water)
Now they are double rinsed and dried out in the sun..
I know I'm not done yet because they still smell like bleach..
What steps do I take from here
To get the bleach all the way out
and to get the rocks safe to put in the sump or in the tank?

What I use to do with the decorative coral (dead coral skeletons) pieces I used in my fish only tanks was to bleach them and then put them in a really strong solution of a declorinator, like start right crystals.

What are these start right things you speak of?

I was also thinking of a "de-chlorinate" to remove the bleach..

if you are really concerned about the bleach you can bake them get them completely dry. this will nutralize? (spelling) the bleach as it would be dry. i have always just let it dry in the sun and nothing else other than a rinse in fresh water. good luck

I just went to Walmart and bought a couple bottles of their cheapest aquarium tap water conditioner (which removes chlorine) and dumped it in a bathtub full of water with my rock, left it in overnight and then it no longer smelled like chlorine.

Something I know people have done with great success is to leave it in the bleach water, then add a strong acid the the same "tub". The acid of choice is usually vinegar (cheap) but it'll neutralize the bleach and then let air dry until its completely dry.

He never did answer the question about plan B.

You're right. He never did say what Plan B was. I know my wife would be asking questions and asking why I have to do it in the bath tub, etc,etc. :D

Last edited:
sodium thiosulfate works well at neutralizing bleach... and when it's rinsed in fresh water after, it can go basically right back into an aquarium...we use to use it for the coral heads that were covered in algae that needed to be cleaned for fish only aquariums

Back