Blenny - somethings wrong!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Elivia

I am very stuck on what to do. I have a 240 lit tank. PH 8.4, NITRITE 0, AMONIA 0 AND NITRATE 10-20. I have had my blenny since i have first got my tank about 6 months ago. He has never acted in this way at all. He is VERY lethragic. Cant swim well at all. Still tries to eat. I noticed something was wrong on Sunday afternoon. He was sitting at the front of the tank doing nothing. usually his personality leads him to being a sticky beack then going back into the rocks at the back. i kept a close eye on him. woke up the next day and he was still at the front (he had moved but not very far). I set up a quarantine bucket yesterday afternoon. I placed him in the bucket once all water requirements were perfect. He was too stressed out after i placed him in the bucket. i started stressing out so i placed him back in the mian tank. he is still doing the same things. just sitting at the bottom trying to move when he can. he is also leaning to the side at the most of times. His breathing is faster than normal also. We have a protein skimmer and a chiller which runs at 24-25 degrees. i have two clownfish that are in perfect shape. Blenny does not look any different. no signs of infection ect. Please help me. i have tried researching his condition on the net but unfortunatly could not find anything that could give me any idea of whats going on. :?::cry:

Elivia,

Sorry to hear of the problem. Unfortunately, the symptoms fit into several possible conditions and don't present a clear diagnosis, nor a 'guess.' Without a diagnosis or even a likely diagnosis, the treatment is unknown.

Just some things to consider:
1) Fish lifespans are shortened by stressors which can be chronic or acute (these can occur from its capture/handling, to conditions of your aquarium, to how it was acclimated, to nutrition);

2) If you don't use a quarantine system, something could have been recently introduced that this fish can't tolerate.

3) If the fish had intestinal problems or something from the wild or caught form another fish in the aquarium, this relates to stressors like 1). Such things take their toll on the fish's lifespan.

Without a thorough investigation (you answering dozens of questions in detail and accurately), I can't offer much more than this.

Thanks Lee. I woke up thismorning and he was gone :(
He did pretty well to at least hang on for life for 4 days. He was my favourite :(
Thankyou for your advice anyway. Greatly appreciated

Back