Bloke's 180g - It was bound to happen...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, there is still some work to do on this front access panel, but I wanted to see what it was going to lo like in place.

Sketch:
TankTrim2.jpg

Actual:
Picture_00221.jpg

As you can see I only have the interior trim molding done on the left half and I also want to round off the bottom edge where I'll be pulling. I'll finish it tomrow and then tackle the @*#&$%^ crown molding again. :mad:

Alright, I've given up on the crown molding. I don't think it's needed and at this point I've spent more than I care to share on this trim job anyway! Every time I get one compound cut right, the other side gets messed up somehow and because I need such long runs of it, I would have to buy another stick of it and it's getting rediculous!

Several people have offered to help and I appreciate it, but it would still mean me running to Star to buy more and I'm not doing it! So here we are today:

Picture_00116.jpg

Picture_00222.jpg

Picture_00317.jpg

There are still a few things I am planning on doing. First, I plan to cap the top of the columns with a 1x4 and place some sort of trim under that top ledge between the two columns. If need be, I will place a second piece of trim to match under the bottom ledge for symetry. Otherwise, I need to get this job done because I am off to work on Thursday and I still need to stain and seal this thing!

Truth be told, I doubt I stain or varnish this thing before Labor Day! :D

Bloke,

First post here on RF. have spent many houres sitting looking at tank builds. So much so I loose track of time and end up having to push my eyeball back in to there sockets.

Very nice job on your build. Very thorough job.

One reason I am reading up on RF is to plan my salt tank after a 2 year laps. Every one I read up on gives me more ideas on how I will be building my new tank. I thank you for showing me a way of setting up rock landscape. I will be using your way of placing/setting up you rock scaping.

One more thing I like about your tank build is the way you have set it up in your basement, you have positioned you lounge in front and at this stage nothing else. Great way to get away from it all and relax.

Again thanks for showing us you tank!

Bloke,

That is Awesome build and has inspired me to do some remodeling in my basement.

I live in a split level from the 70's and when we first moved in I took the room off the laundry and opened to the living area. I then made it my office. Last year my in laws moved in with us and I lost my office. They left last september and I never moved back into my office.

After reading your postings I have decided to fill my 10' opening with a new tank set up and turn the back side into the pump room. This will ensure the in laws never move back in or they will be sleeping with the fishes (ha ha)

Thank you for the great ideas, If I ever get it going I hope to post as you did.

Salty

Divorce - she kept the house and the 180g in-wall tank. :(

I have a new 90g I'm starting. Sorry guys - the dream is over.

Day 5
Picture_00514.jpg

Tank has finally cleared. Surprisingly, the rock I picked up has lots of color and life. There are several pieces with cup coral (tubastraea) still alive along with assorted shells, etc. On a side note, I HATE the stacked apples look, but there is alittle to do with 125 lbs of round rock. Drilling it wouldn't be a viable option. Purchasing additional flatter pieces might be, but a 90g tank just does not have the same real estate to work with so, this looks good for now and hopefully I can get some coral to grow and that can be where eyes are drawn versus the apple basket we have today.

So bummed about the 180..
Well everything happens for a reason.. Sometimes it just takes along time to find out the reasons???
Good luck with the new setup..

hell with the tank it was a 4 level house ! brand new ! but yeah that tank was beast. good luck man. there will be more tanks to come ;). I would replicate it soon as you can and redo what you didnt like about it differently.

Bloke,
I read through this entire thread, and then I got to the end and read about the "d" word. I am so sorry for your losses. Hang in there, and do what you need to do to make it. It saddens me to read of how much work you put into this build, but also to imagine what you have lost overall. I purchased a ballast from you recently, and I am thankful to have "met" you online. Teachers are special people - do not forget that!

Gary

Back