Blue Damsels Fighting?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rocstx

Hey gang. I have two blue damsels in my tank, and I noticed over the past few days that one of the Blue D's has been very touchy as far as, I guess his side of the tank is concerned lol. I thought these guys were calm fish. Is there a reason why the one fish is acting so bossy? Please toss any ideas at me that you might have. I just want to make sure that this is not goin to be a problem with stressing out the tank at all. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Damsels can be very aggressive and territorial fish. Some people won't even put them in their tanks for that same reason. You have to be real careful on the species you pick if you don't want "bossy" fish (generally speaking). Some are worse than others, but typically, damsels are bully's:)

Hey Krish, how are you? Thank you for the heads up!! I gotta tell you, I am starting to really believe that the cat that I am dealing with at my local pet store is not very versed in marine set ups/fish lol. I am learning alot from you guys on here, more so then what I am being told face to face 10 minutes from the house lol. If the Blue does not cool it soon, then I will have to find him a new home. I do not want that kind of stress going on in my new tank. I thought maybe he/she could be cranky and pregnant, or something like that lol.I guess I better take a ride up to Barnes and Noble today for some personal education on certain issues lol Or I could just keep bothering you guys here lol.

Thanks,
Jim

Damsel can be very territorial fish and make it hard for you to add clowns or others of that size. Trade them back at your LFS and get something cool.

Or I could just keep bothering you guys here lol.

Thanks,
Jim

LOL!!! Bothering is cool!! We love that here:D Yeah, some LFS have no clue or really don't care what they tell you once they can get the sale. I've had tons of damsels and know how they can be. They typically won't settle down so your best bet will probably be to get rid of the trouble makers...:)

yep when I started my my tank the guy on sprauge no names sold me coral eating fish killing poision filled items and dead (live rock)knowing I was just starting out b4 u buy anything ask here the guys are awsome that spelt right.

LOL, I am certainly not new to the fish tank thing, having kept a fresh water tank for the quite some time now/many years lol, however this whole salt water thing is a bit stumping to say the least. I will be the first to admit that I have much to learn about the entire mix of water, and marine fish. You will be hearing from me often lol. Anyway, I have another ?, but I better start a new thread so someone else can possibly learn something as well.

Thanks,
Jim

are they both about the same size? if not the larger one could be the female of a mated pair. during mating the female will dart out from her "spot" and appear to nip at the male and dart back to her spot. if the male doesnt follow this will be repeated until he does. you may see this ritual several times a day and if thats whats going on the fish will be fine. the damsels are an aggressive fish and if you want to keep other fish you may need to get rid of them at some point.

Rocstx.....what's the size of your tank? When I first started out, I bought 3different kind of damsels. I had the blue, bluefin, and the yellow damsels. Man was it WAR!! 2 out of the 3 died. The bluefin survived. So I kept him. I later added clownfish and nothing really happened. Till later I added a six-line wrasse and the damsel chased it around and kill the wrasse before it was too late for me to get rid of the damsels. That's one of the reason why it's so cheap. Good luck top ya! Don't bother me...bother Krish!! Hahaha. I'm not as intelligent as Krish is, but I think I'm a better dancer than he is.

Don't bother me...bother Krish!! Hahaha. I'm not as intelligent as Krish is, but I think I'm a better dancer than he is.

ROFL!!! Mo's got "mo" moves than Brittney Spears:lol:

Were these sold as Blue-Green Chromis or actual Blue Damsels? If Chromis, they're normally pretty peaceful, even though they are a Damsel. They're also a schooling type of Damsel and do better in a school of about 6 or more. Some suggest keeping an odd number in your tank. I started with 7 and ended up with 5, thanks to 1 carpet surfing and one getting sucked up before I properly protected all my powerheads.

I was going to mention the odd number thing as well. Someone told me that way back when and it worked pretty well for me. They for some reason seem to be less aggressive in odd numbers. Also clowns are in the same family and can be A-holes as well. The only reason they are popular IMO is because they breed more readily than any other salt species, and many people are fascinated with their hosting behavoir.

Back