Blue Jaw Trigger +Neon Goby = yummy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
Crystal and I always liked how neon goby's like to tag along on fish..
Well she bought two of them at BR..

Come to find out. OUR Blue jaw trigger also like's Neon goby'a, AS A TASTY SNACK..
I think he got one already and the one left has a little n=bit of a tail left.. :(
I just watched the goby come out of his hole and the trigger DARTED over to try and eat it.
I also watched (and heard) the trigger chasing one on the overflow I could hear his teeth hitting the acrylic each time he tried to eat it..

GOOD LUCK LITTLE GOBY.
I hope your smarter than the blue jaw..

I was going to get one for my tank but I have a watchman goby and stripped blenny. I dont want them to be expensive fish food.

My Blue Jaw doesnt mess with my Watchman, Tailspot blenny,2 pistol shrimp,Cleaner shrimps,fire shrimps. And it better stay that way or ill flush him!

That totally sucks my man!!!!! HMMMMMMMMMMM that is totally odd though too! I swear someone said on another thread about these guys that they are strictly herbevores and totally reef safe. This debunked that myth. Would have made a good episode on myth busters! Last I checked neon gobies are meaty little fishies. The BJ trigger must of mistaken it for sea weed or something. Poor neon Goby:cry::cry:.

My old (rip) Blue jaw left all the tank mates alone but went to town on the mysis shrimp. I would watch him carefully. He's had his first taste and might go after others. Good luck bro.

I have other goby's in the tank.he just likes the tiny little blue stripped neon goby's. model citizen with everything else.

triggers IMAO are never really reef safe. They always seem to eat something you dont want them too. LOL. Sorry to here your having issues with him.

triggers IMAO are never really reef safe. They always seem to eat something you dont want them too. LOL. Sorry to here your having issues with him.

I totally agree! That BJT is still a little guy Adam and it has got its taste for flesh. Triggers only get more aggressive as they mature and get bigger.

Too bad the blue jaw trigger has a smaller mouth then my fu man chu lion.

When he tried to eat my blue neon gobies they just swam through his gills and got away, after a few hours of that he finally gave up on eating them.

My sargassum trigger is large (>5") but he is perfectly docile with all the tank mates, including a tailspot blenny, a yellow watchmen goby, and a small flasher wrasse. He did bite me once, but that was because I had food in my fingertips he was extremely excited about. Didn't really hurt, just startled the bejeezus out of me.

This must be like the angelfish thing where every fish has a unique personality. Myteemouse, sorry for the loss of your neon goby...

Yes they are like the Angel thing. As I stated before no triggers are totally reef safe and no they are not just herbavores as this thread demonstrated. It is only time that these potential nippers turn. The Angel I had was in a few different reef tanks and probally 7-8 years in captivity and never touched anything until my system. So only time will tell my friend whether your trigger will make your corals or fish a nice meal for themselves.

Yes they are like the Angel thing. As I stated before no triggers are totally reef safe and no they are not just herbavores as this thread demonstrated. It is only time that these potential nippers turn. The Angel I had was in a few different reef tanks and probally 7-8 years in captivity and never touched anything until my system. So only time will tell my friend whether your trigger will make your corals or fish a nice meal for themselves.
I don't think anyone has ever called the xanthichthys trigger fish herbivorous, they are definitely planktivorous. Planktivores eat smaller (and yes, meaty) crustaceans and larvae out of the water column. They are also known to go after some of the softer shelled shrimp that we keep in our tanks. In all likelihood the blue jaw trigger might not have been trying to eat the gobies as a tasty snack but just protecting its "territory" from a newcomer. Why a triggerfish would fear a neon goby is beyond me, but that is where the personality issue comes into play.

Triggers can be aggressive and thats why its always a potential problem to put them in tanks that contain other fish or shrimps. However, I feel 99% positive I will never have to worry about my trigger eating a coral because their mouths and jaws are not designed to take chomps out of hard, calcareous skeletons. It would be like a genicanthus angel eating corals, possible but extremely rare.

OK I understand that thier mouths are not made to chomp down on corals. They can pick at, in and around the coral in question to the point the corals stresses and die. 2-3'' Clown gobies mouths are not made to chomp down on corals however they are known to take microscopic chucks out of SPS leading to the coral to stress out and eventually sucumb to the constant nips.

OK I understand that thier mouths are not made to chomp down on corals. They can pick at, in and around the coral in question to the point the corals stresses and die. 2-3'' Clown gobies mouths are not made to chomp down on corals however they are known to take microscopic chucks out of SPS leading to the coral to stress out and eventually sucumb to the constant nips.

My blue gold blenny had a liking for LPS (acan and trumpet/canycane mainly)
Little bugger was supposedly "reef safe" with the exception of SPS, boy he proved my research wrong.

Lil @$%! is still in the overflow box I need to make a post about him in again

If I was trapped in a glass box my diet will quickly adapt to what ever available food source LOL. My midas blenny has been good thus far but have read that they can nip on LPS. As of right now it is good but when it does I might go the spear route like Gordy LOL. It is a risk we take. Our research might say something won't do this or that but it is our personal experience that proves otherwise.

Back