Blue Jaw TriggerFish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I also had a Lavender Tang, which most would also consider totally reef safe. It developed a taste for Acans and ate several colonies, before I was able to catch and remove it.

I have heard of and seen tangs going after LPS and zoas so no surprize there but it rarely happens with them. Those triggers might be plankavores but can definately do some damage to your corals if it so decide to do so. As so with many other so called reef safe fish.

I agree I've had mine for 5 yrs and its been a model citizen gets along with every thing I put in the tank and has never touched a snail, shrimp or corals and he is full of personality.

I personally think it a matter of the fish. Different fish in the same species do not all have the same temperament, I have had "Reef safe" just go nuts, don't know why but they pulled every mushroom off the rock and knocked every thing over, maybe they were just looking for food, or mad at me. Fish rabies, I don't know. I saw them doing it was the worst part and I couldn't do any thing to stop it except cuss at the fish. I have also kept puffers and triggers in a Reef tank with no problem, you never know what they are going to do, just keep a good eye on them and don't be to hard on them they are only fish.

Back