Blue mithra crab?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

R.Kowalski

I used to have two grn Mithrax crabs and the bigger one used to attack the newer smaller one . One day I found the smaller one in pieces. Now I have found an even smaller crab that is blue but has smaller pinchers and the same hairy legs of the grn. It must be a stow away? Are blue mithrax crabs like the grn ones?

I personally have never heard or seen of a blue mithrax(doesnt mean it doesnt exist...I think it would be cool to see one!) My 2 emeralds (nickel-quarter size) are very light green also. Lighting might be a factor too. pics would be sweet

jake

He's definately a lt blue

And he hides a lot unlike the lg green one that threatens everything with his monster size(for his body) claws. I assumed that there was a blue variety and that you guys would know about it. I'll have to get my son in law to lend me his camera again and try to remember how to get it to download on a site and transfer it to here. I' technologically challenged when it comes to the digital photo and download scene.

I haven't heard of "blue" mithrax crab, however, like Jake posted, it doesn't mean one doesn't exist. I believe there are red varieties of mithrax crabs. I would get a good look at its pincers and see if they look like the other emerald crab (in shape)....that is if you can't catch it for a pic. I would love to see a pic of it, though. As far as downloading a pic to the site, there is a thread that might help: How to Post Photos. Is there a chance that what you thought was the crab in pieces, was actually the crab's molt?

For fun, here's a link to Crabs by Dr. Ron.

Looking at its front claws......

....they do look like they have a slightly different shape than the grn crab.
Also this crab is light blue and smaller than what I believed was the carcass of the 2nd grn mithrax crab. I stll haven't gotten my son in laws camera yet but I'll check out the posting advice thread when I get it.

Back