Blue sponge

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Too thick, too red. This is the color of coralline algae and waves in the current, but thank you, Boomer. Alas, I've not been able to get a picture up on this forum. I need to get my photoshop software onto this computer so I can resize.

I've been googling your suggestion of bryozoa, and while I can't find the specific type [mine is very basic structure, not the fine lacework sort] it does bear a lot of resemblence. It's possibly tubular, and if there's anything 'signature' about the way it grows, it's the two-horned structure it starts up with. It then gets longer, some of it adhering to the rock, and some waving in the current. It's too fine-gauge to make out whether it is truly tubular, but it looks as if it could be, and its length stretches over 10 inches at a time. I think you may have id'd this stuff. It started growing as I fed phyto, and is apparently harmless, but ubiquitous---breaks off bits and probably spreads by this means as well as branching. The texture is soft, and it breaks often. Corals and fish ignore its touch.

Back