blue spotted jaw fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

Any thoughts or recommendations on getting a blue spotted jaw fish?

AFAIK getting one first requires haveing a DSB idealy consisting of a med. grade aragonite and some CC so they can dig a burrow/tunnel to live in. If you can provide a den for it. Id say go ahead.

I had one once. Had a 4 inch sandbed and that fish dug and dug and never stopped. Burried all my corals that were on the floor of the tank, every 2 or 3 days I would have to level out the sand and dust off the corals , the next morning he would have wrecked it again. He never stopped, I would hear him all night digging digging. The water was always cloudy. He was the fish from Hell, I ended up taking him back to the store.
BUT, you may get one a bit more mellow. They are beautiful fish. I just think mine was neurotic.

oh yeah, I forgot to mention that too. Spent 130.00 on this fish and about the 5th day I had him I found him on the carpet. Dried out, mouth open, and as I reached down to pick him up he started flopping, still alive! I put him back in the tank and he gasped for a couple hours. It was then he started to dismantle the tank. I think the near death experience may have had something to do with it.

Keep it covered

I,ve had two and they both jumped out,so i would recomend a completly covered tank.The second one even jumped out through egg crate.

ecobalance brings up a good point. If you use eggcrate on the top of the tank, you'll need to cover it with screen, as they can fit through the holes of eggcrate. One thing to take into consideration is the depth of the sandbed needed for these guys. They can reach 4 inches in length, so imagine the depth of sand they'll require to feel secure? Tankmates also have to be taken into consideration. I'd love to set-up a species tank for these fish, because they are gorgeous! Here's an article for you to continue your research: Let's Jaw about Jawfish

Wow, I am a bit disappointed. I could provide the right environment for the jaw fish with one exception. I have a flame angel. :(

Also does anyone know if clown fish are a bad tank mate for the jaw fish?

With jawfish you absolutely need to have a covered tank. I have a bluespot right now and love him! Make sure you have a clam shell or something for him to burrow in. Him and the sleeper may have a little tiff to begin with but will settle down!

Matt

To the folks with jawfish. When doing water changes how do you make sure that they do not get freaked out and jump?

If your jaw has a burrow they normally dont freak out as much. I just lift up one corner of my eggcrate/gutter guard and siphon it out that way.

Matt

idgy - if you have a sump you could also do your water changes from there.

Matt, how long have you had your jawfish, and how deep is your sandbed?

Nah20 what about cleaning the inside glass?

Thanks for all the input everyone!

That's a good question. I imagine if the jawfish has a comfortable den to hide in, and as long as you go easy with the cleaning it probably won't be a problem. Fast movements likely won't go over very well. In the article I linked (if I remember correctly) it talks about various "rubble" type materials that need replacement as they are used, like coral branches and snail shells, for the jawfish to use as a roof to its den. Try and provide the most suitable environment for long term success.

Hopefully the jawfish keepers can add their 2 cents on scraping the tank sides.

Back