Blue Spotted Urchin (Astropyga radiata) ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Is the blue spotted urchin (Astropyga radiata) reef safe? I read in Sprung's book "Reef Invertebrates", that it was, and in another book at the LFS that said it wasnt safe. From what I'm able gather on the web, it is a Diadema species of urchin...so I'm guessing it is, but would like clarification before putting this in my reef tank.

Nick

Is the blue spotted urchin (Astropyga radiata) reef safe? I read in Sprung's book "Reef Invertebrates", that it was, and in another book at the LFS that said it wasnt safe. From what I'm able gather on the web, it is a Diadema species of urchin...so I'm guessing it is, but would like clarification before putting this in my reef tank.

Nick

Nick Ive got that article on my coffe table. I'll check for when I head that direction tonight. Its in one of the first issues of Coral Magazine.

Don

So you're basically calling me out on not having Anthony's magazine.....in his forum?

:rolleyes:

:D

Nick

No....

C The Journal is Anthony's

You're good.

Don, on the other hand, is advertising a competing magazine in Anthony's forum. Bring on the pitchforks and torches. :D

No....

C The Journal is Anthony's

You're good.

Don, on the other hand, is advertising a competing magazine in Anthony's forum. Bring on the pitchforks and torches. :D

Sorry I didnt notice what forum it was in, but it is a good reference.
Max, acording to the article in aug/sept 05 you have a urchin that feeds exclusively on corals if it is Astropyga radiata. :)

Beautiful urchin
Don

Excellent.....I'll make sure to add it to my sps tank....

:rolleyes:

It is a gorgeous urchin though....

Nick

Wow thats a trip because i had one in my store and that thing is a monster,nice lookin but will eat anything in its way it even killed another urchin,gorgeous but nasty;)

no worries on the magazine mention (or any product) so long as it is simply a content-building reference. Coral is a great magazine... Daniel Knop (the founder) is one of my dearest friends in the world... and to drive the point home, I gave Coral advertising space in my latest mag issue :)

Regarding the urchin... they are omnivorous leaning heavily towards carnvivorous. In your aquarium, it will starve to death before it finds enough food (most die in less than one year in aquaria)

If you bought it to eat algae... there are far better choices my friend.

This species is pictured in a nearly half page feature on page 337 of my Reef Inverts book.

Anthony,
Thank for taking the time to reply...I know you're busy with several things right now...

Just out of curiousity, can you ID this urchin? I was told it was a relative of the Tuxedo urchin, but have been unable to locate any photos of an urchin that resembles this one. the closest I got was possibly Microcyphus rousseaui, but it doesnt look right.

Any thoughts?

Urchin3-1.jpg

I'll try to take better pics tomorrow when the store is open again.

Nick

I wish I could help my friend... but IDs from pics are not responsible or accurate. At best we can peg a likely genus. A guess even then. With a clearer pic we can still give it a try... but theres not much to say from this image, my friend. Neither the test nor the spines are in focus, bro.

Anthony,
thanks for the fast reply. I appologize for the bad pics...I need a macro lense to get clearer more detailed shots....these images were cropped to allow for the largest relevent detail possible in them....

Here are three other shots, not great, but about the best I can do with what I've got.

IMG_9573-1.jpg

IMG_9577-1.jpg

IMG_9574-1.jpg

Nick

No worries...

Still tough to say, but I seriously doubt its Microcyphus rousseaui at this point. As best I can tell, the test has gross differences from yours.

Do find some references to Salmacis species. This may be one (disregard color too as the means by which you match... it has very little to do with the ID. Note the structures instead... see Salmacis belli, for example)

I was able to find a similar appearing animal in a book, and in a couple of online sites, (meerwasser)...
I'm tentatively IDing this one as Salmacis bicolor...Is this one a meat eater like the Astropyga radiata? Or is this better candidate for SPS type systems like diadema urchins?
Also found several reports of the Astropyga radiata having venomous spines. Is this venom similar to didema urchins or more potent?

As usual, the LFS has no info regarding either of these critters and I'd like to share this info if possible.

Nick

there is no other genus of urchin that comes even remotely close to Diadema in algae grazing ability on the reef or in aquaria. Note the mouthparts... form follows function, my friend.

I believe this is the Urchin Anthony's talking about . He lives in my prop tank and is fed sheet algae .

Yup, thats the one the LFS had. Beautiful urchin, wich I could have kept it...
LFS said it ate some of their acro's.
Nick

I only have LPS and soft corals in my prop tank , although he could develop a taste for corals like alot of urchins , I try to keep him well fed . If he ever starts to eat my corals he'll have to go . The picture doesn't even begin to do this urchins colors justice . :cool:

Back