Blue tang in a 5' tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

menace78

I have a post up in another thread and didn't think to post here.
I have a 110g flat back hex 60x24x22 and have seen compatability charts state "With Caution" for blue tangs and rabitfish.
I have a 6" foxface and am wondering what issues I might have with adding a blue tang and is 5' width a resonable swimming area for one?

Any advice would be apreciated.

Thanks,
Casey

Rabbitfishes tend to grow quickly when fed and cared for properly. I recommend no less than a 6 foot length for the fish to 'get up to speed.' However, the 6" Rabbit needs at least a 240 aquarium, unless it is pretty much alone in a 180.

A Tang will be about the same in requirements -- 6 foot length and when it gets longer, a bigger aquarium. Both will require a 300 gallon aquarium when they make it to 8" or so.

For the tank you presented, I'd not keep any Tang or Rabbitfish over 3". When over that size, a 6 foot long tank is needed (say a 125 standard), then it just goes up from there.

Tangs, Rabbitfishes, and Large Angels are all big aquarium fishes once they have gotten out of their juvenile category. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
That's what I needed to know.
I guess I'll be looking to get rid of my foxface soon then. He was originaly in my 6' 135g tank but I downgraded recently and didn't realise it was too small for him. Liveaquaria states there both ok in min. 75g (usualy 36") so I didn't think twice about the foxface in the 5' tank untill I was thinking about both the tang and the foxface in there. and I'll hold off on the blue tang.
TY for the input Lee.

Blue Tang in a 100 gallon doing OK

I have a 4.5" to 5" Blue Tang in my 100gallon 5-foot-wide tank (about 3 years now). My words of wisdom is nori every day .... he is a stunning blue, and secret is regular nori (in moderate servings of course). I wll confess, my Blue Tang has grown and my system (soft corals) are growign as well, which is reducing swimming area. Regardless, he loves to eat and seems to be doing well. (but I do need to at least harvest some of my corals and aquascape to free up some swimming space).

Good luck.

I have a post up in another thread and didn't think to post here.
I have a 110g flat back hex 60x24x22 and have seen compatability charts state "With Caution" for blue tangs and rabitfish.
I have a 6" foxface and am wondering what issues I might have with adding a blue tang and is 5' width a resonable swimming area for one?

Any advice would be apreciated.

Thanks,
Casey

Back