blue tang is half dark and half yellow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

I have a juvenile Caribbean blue tang that I purchased from Barrier that seems to be doing well, but...

He was a nice yellow color, but has changed to a half and half color. His rear half is now a darker almost brown color and the front is the same yellow. He still had the blue outlines on his fins. He is eating and seems happy, but looks like his rear half was dipped in tan ink. Anyone have any knowledge of these tangs being literally half and half?

I will try to post a pic

no idea...but he looks and acts fine. Eating well and swimming around with the other fish. All the water parameters are fine. I think he may be doing a color change and with the new food may be accelerating is color change??? honestly I have no idea.

My hippo tang turned almost pure black when it was smaller. I increased the amount of Nori I fed it and decreased the amount of meat. Its colors returned to normal rather quickly. It could be diet related.

these fish do change colors as they mature. As they mature, they transition to blue body with a yellow tail before turning completely blue. If he is acting fine this would be my guess.

Thanks everyone. I will keep watch on him and offer a little more Nori or Seaveggies too. My wife's brother and his wife visited and already named him so he has to hang in there.

Ok they named him Gill McFinnigan if you must know

Hello don't worry i live in Puerto Rico and all Caribbean blue tangs go through taht faze as they mature, I ve had tons of them from about .5" till they are 6 or 7 inch beauties.So don't worry.

Back