Blue Tort/Green pigmentation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaTe R

I wanna know if anybody has came across any info or knows what is the most common or significant reason why some blue torts like California and Oregon have a lot of green pigmentation in some tanks and more dark blue in others?

I keep thinking small levels of nitrate, just because of what Nitrate does to grass.(turns it green)

I have also herd potassium is a factor in this. I dont know were potassium comes from really in the ocean. i thought i came from banana's. And if you have any kind of potassium on your skin while your fishing and you touch your bait you will NEVER catch fish, fish hate it.

I wanna know if anybody has came across any info or knows what is the most common or significant reason why some blue torts like California and Oregon have a lot of green pigmentation in some tanks and more dark blue in others?

I keep thinking small levels of nitrate, just because of what Nitrate does to grass.(turns it green)

I have also herd potassium is a factor in this. I dont know were potassium comes from really in the ocean. i thought i came from banana's. And if you have any kind of potassium on your skin while your fishing and you touch your bait you will NEVER catch fish, fish hate it.

thanks for the tip about potassium and fishing, had no idea.

not sure what's changing the color, maybe it's the lighting? I'd like to know too. I have a cali tort but is blue, but I have other corals that are just not as bright as when I bought them.

-Jen

-Jen

Hello,
Speaking for the Oregon Tortuosa the green tint comes from spectral differences in bulb output. I recently switched from Reeflux 10,000K's to Ushio 14,000Ks and I now have more purple showing especially below the tips down in the older growth. Other SPS corals in my tank have also experienced subtle color changes.

Regards,
Kevin

cali-tort grows way faster, and shows green in many tanks, and has a much taller staghorn growth, compared to the dense, smooth cluster growth of Oregon tort. They arent really that simmilar.

Hello,
Speaking for the Oregon Tortuosa the green tint comes from spectral differences in bulb output. I recently switched from Reeflux 10,000K's to Ushio 14,000Ks and I now have more purple showing especially below the tips down in the older growth. Other SPS corals in my tank have also experienced subtle color changes.

Regards,
Kevin

Your tank is amazing Kevin. How many VHO bulbs and how long are they, are you running?

Coloration changes on Cali Tort

I have propogated this torte for over 8 years. Watched from 1.5" to a whopping basket ball specimen. What I have seen is young cuttings will have a lot of green cast to them and the larger frags will retain that if not over illuminated. I have the most complete blue on a top reef placement w/ 250W 12k lamps. The lower colonies that are somewhat sheltered did retain the green cast near their centers and lower branches. I do recommend calc reactors w/magnesium suplementation. Having witnessed over the course of 2yrs the magnificient difference in growth/coloring of the colonies across the board. It's difficult to point a finger at what corals lack initially in our systems given a lack of regular water changes to maintiaing chemistry on all levels. The reactor does more of what we lack the ability to do adequately.

That's my .02 cents

Back