So this is what I got and planning

1 630 gallon tank
1 Stand for tank
2 Wahoo return pumps
1 Hammerhead closed loop

Coming
1 custom protein skimmer

Lots of Pipes

When i bought this house the person before me had a shop in the garage so I have an extra electrical panel with lots of space so I am adding four circuts for the running of this tank.

I still have not picked out my lighting yet. I am stuck between T-5 HO and VHO. I will have ONE 400W halide in the center of the tank. I am going with a 400W because the depth of hte tank and I am only planning on one clam.

Another area I am still considering is the Sea Swirls, I have been told by many that with a HammerHead Closed loop I should not need the Sea Swirls.

Anyone want to ring in on these points?

I use a hammerhead with a oceans motion 8way imo you can't get no more random flow I love mine and wouldn't use anything else

I agree with fairlan. If I had the $$ i would go ocean motion... goto: reefvideos.com a couple guys on there use them and it'll also show you some NICE systems!-)

I had the opportunity to see this tank in person. If my doors were big enough, it probably would be in my house right now....:)

I had the opportunity to see this tank in person. If my doors were big enough, it probably would be in my house right now....:)

Awesome tank ay goodwin

On a sorry note to this build, It has been put on hold. My wife and I have decided to buy a brand new house, and we do not know where yet. We looked at a few up on the hill. She wants a view so I figured it would be perfect timing to break the news of the new tank (like there is any real good time to tell the wife you are going to spend all this money on a tank) So while everything is pretty much paid for we are not going to ship anything until we know where we will be. One of the requirements is there must be space for my tank.

Since my current tank is 300 (fresh) I keep saying if I am going to buy a brand new house it has to have double the room for my fish tank. I used the excuse I don't want it in the living room. She didn't catch on. She did say why don't you just sell your tank and get a new one (AHHH HAAA). I just replied "I have been trying to sell my tank for a while now"

We did find a screamin deal on one house but I could not pin point what I did not like about it. The tank could go into the basement. After hiring a bobcat to move the landscaping away fromt he window, and of course the removal of the window. So I slept on it and I woke up to STAIRS. The house was full of stairs. Which is not a bad thing but we said we did not want that many stairs and no matter how you went into the house you had to climb stairs.

All well I will try and get out and look at some others this week. So you guys know Banner Bank has 3.875% Fixed for 30 years on NEW homes. Also with spring around the corner builders are trying to clear inventory so they can start fresh this spring and build. You can find a screamin deal if you look. This one was 4200 SQF built in 2007 Originally listed for 489K on sale this weekend for 335K. I was told by the sister in law of the builder they would take 315K just to get if off the books.

Well wish me luck so I can continue my build sooner rather than later.

Awesome tank ay goodwin

On a sorry note to this build, It has been put on hold. My wife and I have decided to buy a brand new house, and we do not know where yet. We looked at a few up on the hill. She wants a view so I figured it would be perfect timing to break the news of the new tank (like there is any real good time to tell the wife you are going to spend all this money on a tank) So while everything is pretty much paid for we are not going to ship anything until we know where we will be. One of the requirements is there must be space for my tank.

Since my current tank is 300 (fresh) I keep saying if I am going to buy a brand new house it has to have double the room for my fish tank. I used the excuse I don't want it in the living room. She didn't catch on. She did say why don't you just sell your tank and get a new one (AHHH HAAA). I just replied "I have been trying to sell my tank for a while now"

We did find a screamin deal on one house but I could not pin point what I did not like about it. The tank could go into the basement. After hiring a bobcat to move the landscaping away fromt he window, and of course the removal of the window. So I slept on it and I woke up to STAIRS. The house was full of stairs. Which is not a bad thing but we said we did not want that many stairs and no matter how you went into the house you had to climb stairs.

All well I will try and get out and look at some others this week. So you guys know Banner Bank has 3.875% Fixed for 30 years on NEW homes. Also with spring around the corner builders are trying to clear inventory so they can start fresh this spring and build. You can find a screamin deal if you look. This one was 4200 SQF built in 2007 Originally listed for 489K on sale this weekend for 335K. I was told by the sister in law of the builder they would take 315K just to get if off the books.

Well wish me luck so I can continue my build sooner rather than later.
WOW That's a shame to hear. Do you happen to have pictures of your fresh water tank posted some where? Must be an awesome tank. On more than one occasion, I have considered giving up on salt and turning my 600 gallon tank into fresh or Africans.

WOW That's a shame to hear. Do you happen to have pictures of your fresh water tank posted some where? Must be an awesome tank. On more than one occasion, I have considered giving up on salt and turning my 600 gallon tank into fresh or Africans.

http://www.arowana.us is my fresh water site

Direct link is here http://www.arowana.us/modules/news/article.php?storyid=68

Same builder on the tank and stand as the 630, but I just looked at the pictures and they have the old stand and no canopy. I will try and get something more updated on there.

Last edited:
Yeah Franz did both my large tanks and stands.

He did the sump on the 300 but not the 630. Infact I dont have a sump for the 630 yet. I talked to Franz about it a few times but he never sent the quote. So I found someone else to build one. I will give the old man a call in a day or two just to make sure he is still alive lol

What version are you using for the 8 Way.
Do you have pictures of your plumbing?
What is the extra drum for?

his plumbing looks like a ball of spaghetti:D I know I helped with it...

Fairlan (Don) is my Dad...

BTW The OM are the way to go...

Matt

his plumbing looks like a ball of spaghetti:D I know I helped with it...

Fairlan (Don) is my Dad...

BTW The OM are the way to go...

Matt

Family and friends of yours is making this so easy for me.

I am thinking of just going with a 4 way for closed loop because I have 4 return already.

I am going to add a overflow box in the center to cover the 4 lines for the closed loop and the 1 feed. The over flow box will have the slots cut down about 6" to keep the pump fed and still provide comfort to knowing if something leaks I am only losing 6" of water (about 120 Gallons) and not the entire tank.

Do you know what version he got or what the sequence of the flow is?

James, have you considered a Weir overflow instead of a toothed overflow? The reason I mention is it because with teeth 6" deep, you'll be skimming water from 6" deep instead of from the surface. The fraction of an inch at the surface is where all the proteins accumulate and skimming water from any deeper will seriously cripple the amazing skimmer you've had built. A weir overflow runs along more of the back, but has no teeth at all, so you're capable of skimming that important upper fraction of water more easily.

This is not for skimming this is for closed loop, mainly to make sure if a pipe leaks, pump explodes, or some other freak of nature happens I do not loose the entire tank.

The tank is 31.5 tall and I will not put anything over 16 to 18 tall in the tank so I should be good. Well until it all grows out in a few years.

I still have two normal overflows for skimming

I am going to add a overflow box in the center to cover the 4 lines for the closed loop and the 1 feed. The over flow box will have the slots cut down about 6" to keep the pump fed and still provide comfort to knowing if something leaks I am only losing 6" of water (about 120 Gallons) and not the entire tank.

Back