box fish ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

i got this litle guy almost a year ago, he was small. and now he has doubled in size, my ? is that for two days in a row i have found him stucked to one of the holes to my intake, i get him loose, and hes fine, eating and swimming, any comments...

i got this litle guy almost a year ago, he was small. and now he has doubled in size, my ? is that for two days in a row i have found him stucked to one of the holes to my intake, i get him loose, and hes fine, eating and swimming, any comments...

My comments...How big is your tank? You might want to let him go before he becomes a real problem they get LARGE.

What time of day are you "finding" him stuck? perhaps hes decided to sleep next to or on the intake (he doesn't have to worry about getting blown around while hes inactive). It might also be getting bullied and most fish avoid intake and hence its going to a place other fish stay away from and in turn stay away from him.

As for a possible fix, I wouldn't be too worried, you could always put a piece of egg crate in front of the intake so that the suction can't form a seal to hold him there, plus it won't inhibit the intake.

Bored's right; You'll definitely need to block the intake, if not switch to a smaller pump. The week I brought my baby longhorn home, he became stuck to a pump intake for a whole night! I brushed him off and no damage has been seen from the incident. I ended up switching pumps until he got a little bit bigger, but he knows not to go near those intakes anymore.

What kind of boxfish is this? The longhorn cows tend to get pretty large, over a foot in length, but other boxes will stay around 6"-8". This is definitely a fish which needs to be catered to, only because it doesn't deal well with stress and competition, but would not need to be housed in a tank all by itself.

Back